Friday, 7 August 2015

Currently Reading #1

Each Friday I'll be sharing a 'Currently Reading' post here on the blog, sharing my last read, the book I'm currently reading and what I've got lined up upon completion. I think these kinds of posts are interesting to read on other blogs as you discover new titles, but also a good way to keep tracking of your reading and see how plans alter come the end of the month. So, let's get on to the books...

Recently Read

Mother, Mother by Koren Zailckas
All is not well with the Hurst family. There is gentle teenage daughter Violet, whose experiments with fasting and drugs land her in a psychiatric ward; eight-year-old Will who is smart, funny and caring but has already been labelled autistic and is being home-schooled; and mother Josephine, whose subtly controlling and seemingly innocent manoeuvres may just be the source of everyone else's despair. And then there's Rose, the sister who got away. Tired of Josephine's interferences, Rose ran away from home years earlier and hasn't been heard from since. But as her mother's intentions become more terrifyingly clear, Violet begins to wonder whether something far, far worse happened to her older sister.

I finished up Mother, Mother with some mixed feelings, but I'll be sharing my thoughts in a little more depth in a couple of weeks time.

Currently Reading

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?


I'm over half way through Red Queen, as of writing this, and am really enjoying it so far. I find dystopian fantasies to be a little hit or miss for me but Red Queen is definitely hitting the mark. I think the world building as well as ease of narration makes the Red Queen a book you can easily fall in to.

Up Next
I don't always have a book set in stone as I tend to read with my mood and just go with the flow, but I have my eye on either The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman or Wonder by R.J. Palacio.

What are you currently reading?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig