Friday, 4 September 2015

August Reading Wrap Up


August has been a fairly decent month in terms of reading material, but I feel like the month has just flown by! I've read four books this month which is pretty typical for me so good going.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?
 
I didn't entirely know what to expect going in to Red Queen as dystopian YA can be quite hit or miss with me, often avoiding the genre. I thoroughly enjoyed Red Queen though and have a review up already if you're interested in reading my full thoughts.
***
You can't blend in when you were born to stand out.

My name is August. I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August Pullman wants to be an ordinary ten-year-old. He does ordinary things. He eats ice cream. He plays on his Xbox. He feels ordinary - inside.

But Auggie is far from ordinary. Ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds. Ordinary kids don't get stared at wherever they go.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie has been home-schooled by his parents his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, he's being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it. All he wants is to be accepted - but can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, underneath it all?
 
Wonder is one of those books that had been on my wishlist for a considerable amount of time and when book buying I just passed over it... Well, I recently purchased it and knew I had to read it as soon as. Having now read Wonder, I do think perhaps my waiting paid off because if I had read the book when a lot of talk was about I don't know if I'd have loved it as much as I did. Much like Red Queen, I also have a review of Wonder on the blog.
***
A bitter-sweet, coming-of-age novel that's perfect for fans of John Green and Stephen Chbosky.

When he's sent to Latham House, a boarding school for sick teens, Lane thinks his life may as well be over.
But when he meets Sadie and her friends - a group of eccentric troublemakers - he realises that maybe getting sick is just the beginning. That illness doesn't have to define you, and that falling in love is its own cure.

Extraordinary Means is a darkly funny story about true friendships, ill-fated love and the rare miracle of second chances.
 
Extraordinary Means has had a lot of John Green comparisons thrown at it, and whilst I see where they are drawn from, Extraordinary Means and John Green's work (namely The Fault in our Stars) are quite different in terms of overall storyline. Extraordinary Means had a lot of great things going for it, in my opinion, but one of my favourite things was probably the wittiness that ran throughout. I have written a review of this book and I will be sharing it here soon.
***
Mathea Martinsen has never been good at dealing with other people. After a lifetime, her only real accomplishment is her longevity: everyone she reads about in the obituaries has died younger than she is now. Afraid that her life will be over before anyone knows that she lived, Mathea digs out her old wedding dress, bakes some sweet cakes, and heads out into the world—to make her mark. She buries a time capsule out in the yard. (It gets dug up to make room for a flagpole.) She wears her late husband’s watch and hopes people will ask her for the time. (They never do.) Is it really possible for a woman to disappear so completely that the world won’t notice her passing? The Faster I Walk, the Smaller I Am is a macabre twist on the notion that life “must be lived to the fullest.”  
 
The Faster I Walk, The Smaller I Am is one of the few translated fiction books I've read this year - I have been making a conscious effort to read more translated fiction, with it being one of my bookish goals for the year. Although I've only rated this book 3 stars on Goodreads, I did really enjoy the short read and found the book make me think quite a bit too. I love a thought provoking book. A review will be up in the coming weeks.
 
What books did you read in the month of August?

If you'd like to keep up to date with all that I'm reading, be sure to follow me on Goodreads
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Sounds like a great month of reading! I'm glad you enjoyed your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Extraordinary Means! I agree it has the same sort of....vibe? as John Green, but it's STILL SO DIFFERENT. The banter was the best (although I think the teens were kinda idiots for what they did...with the trading and the possibly infecting others. >_> STILL I laughed a lot in that book and that's saying something considering it's such a heavy subject matter). Ohhh and Wonder was GREAT. I don't think I loved it as much as everyone seemed to, but I still did really like it! :D
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree - I think books are often grouped together if there is one similar theme (i.e sick teenagers) when they can be entirely different stories.

      They were pretty silly with certain judgements, but like you found, the book was somewhat light with such a heavy subject matter. I actually touched upon that in my review!

      Delete
  3. Oh, hey, you're back! Glad I found you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Translated books are something I seem to forget about reading. I will be looking forward to your review of The Faster I Walk, The Smaller I am. Do you have any other recommendations for books in translation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I have been making an effort this year but I haven't read nearly as much as I'd like to - only a few, this one included. The main translated author I've tried this year is Murakami. I also read another book by a Japanese author but the title escapes me now... That's what happens when you don't log your reads! That's the thing with me, when I do read translated fiction I tend to lean towards Japanese fiction for some reason.

      I would recommend The Faster I Walk, The Smaller I Am... My review will be up in a couple of weeks :-)

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig