Monday, 28 September 2015

Library Loot + Book Buying Ban

It wasn't all that long ago that I shared a haul of books, and since then I have put myself on a self imposed book buying ban - effective the start of September. So I'm already in to the thick of it and doing well.
 
Every now and then these kinds of posts crop up on book blogs, because y'know, reading isn't always the cheapest of hobbies, and the bans go one of two ways - really successfully, or failing miserably. Well, it isn't quite miserably, because books, hurrah!
 
This isn't my first book buying ban, and probably won't be my last, but in the past I have fallen in to the latter when it comes to results. I'm going in to this ban head strong and full of confidence. I have a reason to put myself on a book buying ban and that is to save in order to purchase my first DSLR.
 
If you're in to cameras and photography, you know DSLR's are a pretty penny and so this ban of mine is going to be lasting quite some time... At least that's the plan. I think going in to the ban with an end goal and time frame give me motivation to succeed, something I need in all honesty.
 
Hopefully I'll see you on the other side of this (April 2016) with a brand spanking new camera!
 
Because of this cut back on books, I'm going to be showing my local libraries a lot more love. We do go to the library every week, but for a large part that's for my toddler son, not myself, but I will be taking to browsing for myself here and there from now on in. I do also have a number of books on my TBR shelf to tackle too (which I think I'll do another post on in the very near future), so it's safe to say I won't be short on reading material!
 
Library books are likely to be featuring in my book choices a lot more often now and so I thought I'd share on the blog as and when I take a trip to the local library as well as the books I snagged.

 
What have you picked up from the library recently? 
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I think a self-imposed book ban works so much better when we have another goal! I want to get my tbr shelf down to a more manageable level before I buy any more books.

    Sarah Addison Allen is supposed to be great, but I haven't read anything of hers yet. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having something to work towards is always good motivation to complete any kind of task, I think. Good luck with getting your TBR down.

      I'd heard pretty good things about her work too. I actually finished Garden Spells just yesterday - a review will be up soon.
      :-)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE THE LIBRARY!! Seriously I get dozens of books from there...although I usually put myself on library-bans because I reserve too many and drown in delicious reads. hehe. But they're freeeee and it's so FUN. The only hard part is sending them back. hehe. But I hope you do get your DSLR! I bought one this year after saving hard and omg best. decision. ever. It is beautiful and my baby. *hugs camera*
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always going through phases with the library, but when I start to utilise the service more I wonder why I haven't been doing it all long... I do have that issue of checking out too many books at the one time though. Haha!

      I currently have a bridge camera and I feel now is the time to progress to a 'big girl' camera. I know it requires a lot of saving, but it'll all be worth it once I have the camera.
      :-)

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I do think having a concrete goal will help. I am typically terrible at book buying bans, but I'm trying very hard to severely curtail new purchases because things have just gotten out of hand! And as you said, I also dont have a lack of reading material between my own shelves and the library, so really I just need to quit shopping so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Haha, it sounds so simple - 'quit shopping' - and yet it is a lot harder than it seems!
      :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    You have a lovely blog.

    What a gorgeous cover on Garden Spells.

    I have taken out an audio book from the library, but no books recently.

    Hope you are having a good reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      The cover of Garden Spells is quite enchanting, much like the story itself, and immediately caught my eye whilst browsing.

      I have yet to listen to an audio book... I just have this feeling I won't soak up the story as much. Although I have listened to podcasts before and they're along the same lines so perhaps I'll have to listen to one some time.

      Happy reading!
      :-)

      Delete
  5. Good luck saving for your DSLR! I got mine for £500-ish, but it was soooo worth it. I love my camera with all my heart! (Except I really hate buying lenses for it. So I don't, basically.) I'm on a book buying ban too, and it's actually not as hard as I'd thought. I think it helps that I preordered a few books, so they're dropping through my letterbox every few weeks; but I'm also raiding everyone else's shelves and things. I've yet to venture to my library though!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The one I'm eyeing is close to £700, which makes me wince a little even typing that, but I know it will all be worth it once I start snapping away. I'm thinking of it as a wise investment. Haha! Lenses are so expensive!!

      Ah, it sounds like having preorders was a good idea because you almost still feel like you're buying books. You should try and check out your library at some point, some gems can be found there.
      :-)

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig