Monday, 5 October 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This past week was quite successful reading wise for me with two books completed. The first book I read was Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen and the second one, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Both authors were new to me and The Haunting of Hill House was the first of my planned spooky reads what with Halloween approaching; I have one more spooky read ahead of me this month.
 
I've a bunch of library books sitting waiting to be read and so that's what I'm turning to this week. I've already started reading The Word Exchange by Alena Graedon, and so far it is all I'd hoped for having heard a lot about it last year. Whether I'll get through more of my library books this week is debatable as on average I do tend to read the one book a week, but I am eyeing up Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult as a possible next read.
***
 
A literary adventure for booklovers, a dystopian thriller about the digital age and a love story set in a world threatened by the disappearance of language.
PRINT IS DEAD

LONG LIVE PRINT

Imagine a world in which books, libraries and newspapers are things of the past. A world in which we spend our time glued to handheld devices called Memes that not only keep us in constant communication but have become so intuitive as to hail taxis before we leave our offices and even create and sell language in a digital marketplace called the Word Exchange.

Anana Johnson works with her father, Doug, at the North American Dictionary of the English Language, and they're hard at work on the final edition that will ever be printed. Then one evening, Doug disappears and Anana discovers a single written clue: ALICE. It's a code word Doug devised to signal if he ever fell into harm's way.

Joined by Bart, her bookish colleague, Anana's search for Doug will take her into dark basement incinerator rooms, underground passages, secret meetings, and ultimately to the hallowed halls of the Oxford English Dictionary - the spiritual home of the written word.
 
What are you reading this week?
 
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I read The Haunting of Hill House for a group read last year at this time (very good!) and have been meaning to try one of Sarah Addison Allen's novels. Book bloggers seem to love her writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd also heard a lot about Sarah Addison Allen's books through the community. I quite enjoyed Garden Spells, especially as someone who loves character driven books. My review will be up on Wednesday :-)

      Delete
  2. I see you are a relative newby; welcome to the book blogging world. We are a friendly bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could say that! I have been in the book blogging community before a couple of years ago, with a different blog, but you're quite right, a friendly bunch!

      Delete
  3. I really liked The Haunting of Hill House - what did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it too. There were elements were I was actually a little creeped out, and that isn't always an easy thing to do with words, but I guess that's what I get for reading it before bed. Haha!

      Delete
  4. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson looks creepy! but honestly so does The Word Exchange in its own way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Word Exchange is creepy in its own way!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love the look of Word Exchange. I saw a different cover on this one, which I didn't like as well as yours. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US cover looks different to the UK, you could say I'm biased, but I do prefer the UK cover.

      Delete
  6. This looks like the perfect read for a bibiophile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What book lover doesn't love books about books, right?!

      Delete
  7. I'd never heard of Shirley Jackson until last year when I read a book 'Shirley' - loosely based on her.... faction if you like. It was more of a study of human nature than anything but I was surprised that I got into it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... That sounds interesting. I'm always fascinated by books that study human nature and such... Although read so few because I really don't make much time for anything other than purely fiction.

      Delete
  8. I don't know this author or this book.

    Love the book's title, but I don't like that there may not be books. :) It sounds very good. A mystery too???

    ENJOY your reading week.

    A giveaway for A CURIOUS BEGINNING IS happening on my blog until October 7, then a giveaway for THE SILENT SISTER and also EVERYTHING SHE FORGOT beginning October 6.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that the world is very much digitalised in The Word Exchange does make you both worry and wonder... Yes! A mystery too!

      Delete
  9. Yay for the stack of library books! I have a few more to pick up from the library tomorrow...Thank goodness for 24 Hour Readathon coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have a tad too many library books in the stack right now, but I'll get through them. I hope you enjoy your upcoming books!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig