Monday, 19 October 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

If you saw my last week's 'It's Monday' post then you'll know I was delving in to a Jodi Picoult novel - Leaving Time. I wasn't too sure what to expect from this book, Jodi Picoult was once my all time favourite author, but as I've got older and discovered more authors, and as her works have progressed, I've found I've enjoyed her books less and less. I admire the way in which she tells a story and the depth she gives to characters, but having changed paths from her original writing, I just find the books to be a good read. Leaving Time was just that, a good read, coming in at three stars. I've written my review already and will be sharing that this coming Wednesday.
 
After finishing Leaving Time on Friday, I moved on to another library borrow, An Untamed State by Roxane Gay. I went in to this one blind almost, knowing nothing of the book prior to reading the blurb in the library - often times this is the best way to go in to a book as you don't have expectations. So far, at close to half way through, An Untamed State is shaping up to be powerful read.
***
 
Mireille Duval Jameson is living a fairy tale. The strong-willed youngest daughter of one of Haiti’s richest sons, she has an adoring husband, a precocious infant son, by all appearances a perfect life. The fairy tale ends one day when Mireille is kidnapped in broad daylight by a gang of heavily armed men, in front of her father’s Port au Prince estate. Held captive by a man who calls himself The Commander, Mireille waits for her father to pay her ransom. As it becomes clear her father intends to resist the kidnappers, Mireille must endure the torments of a man who resents everything she represents.

An Untamed State is a novel of privilege in the face of crushing poverty, and of the lawless anger that corrupt governments produce. It is the story of a wilful woman attempting to find her way back to the person she once was, and of how redemption is found in the most unexpected of places. An Untamed State establishes Roxane Gay as a writer of prodigious, arresting talent.
 
 
 
What are you reading this week?
 
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I really enjoyed Leaving Time and adored the elephants. Jodi Picoult has been hit and miss for me over the last few years but The Storyteller was an absolute winner! Have you read it? Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The Storyteller is my favourite of her most recent works!

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  2. An Untamed State sounds good! I hope you enjoy it. Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brandie - so far so good.

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  3. I've heard good things about An Untamed State, but I've also read that it's a tough read. I can't wait to read your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm still only part way through but I can attest to it being tough reading... Going in I knew it was about a kidnapping and so of course it isn't going to be hearts and roses, but there are some pretty graphic scenes.

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Leaving Time...sorry it didn't work for you. I'm curious about An Untamed State. Have a great week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would say Leaving Time worked, just perhaps not like her work's once did for me.

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  5. An Untamed State does sound good. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's proving to be good so far.

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  6. Sounds very intense but very good.

    Love the cover.

    ENJOY the book and your week.

    Very nice blog.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is intense - when my partner asked me about the book intense was the exact word I used.

      Thank you - Happy Reading!

      Delete
  7. Like you I used to read kind a bit of JP in the early times but then came the one about the shootings I think in a school and I couldn't just face into that and have never really gone back to reading her but I do have Lone Wolf on my TBR shelf and must try it to see where I stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's a shame. She does cover some tough topics at times. Lone Wolf is a good read, hopefully you can enjoy that one when you get to it.

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  8. i go into most of my books blindly heh i like the element of surprise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much mixed when it comes to going in to books, but I do like the element of surprise.

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  9. I've heard so many good things about "An Untamed State!" I must get my hands on a copy as soon as my reading schedule opens up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books, so little time eh?!

      Happy Reading!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig