Monday, 30 November 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This past week hasn't been the best in many respects, including my reading habits. I've been all over the place, with the pickiness I mentioned a couple of weeks ago being back in full force. A lot has been going on personally too, so that has played a part in my lack of reading also. I just haven't been in the right frame of mind for reading and so that equals out to very little read.
 
If you read last week's 'It's Monday!' post then you'll know I was hoping to complete More Than This by Patrick Ness... I started the book, ploughed on through for a couple of days, but then my reading came to a halt. I couldn't continue, couldn't fully connect; that's the second time I've had that experience with that particular book. I'm still not giving up on it though, and I hope to return to it in the future. After that, I didn't read for a good couple of days. Returning to my shelves I picked up Disclaimer by Renee Knight... I'm about half way through that one and enjoying it so far, hooked in fact. The trouble is having the time / clear enough mind to sit and read. I'm hoping this new week will be a good turning point.
 
Hoping to have Disclaimer finished by the end of today, or at the very latest tomorrow, I'll be moving on to the series that is Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I do actually own, and have read, the first book in the series, but as always seems to be the way with me, I haven't got much further than the first book in the series. Whilst at the library near the start of the week I spotted not only the second, but the third book in the series and knew I just had to check them out. I've heard some mixed reviews on the series as a whole, but I recall particularly enjoying the first and being held by the uniqueness of pictures entwined with narrative how they are there, so look forward to seeing how the series progresses. Reading all three books (because my memory just doesn't serve me well and I tend to have to reread when it comes series) in the one week is an ambitious task, and unlikely to happen, but that's how my reading is shaping up of late.


What are you reading this week?
 
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. I want to read this series too! Now that all three are out I really should dig in soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I knew that waiting till all three were out was the way to go with finishing the series. Based off the first, I'd recommend looking in to them.

      Delete
  2. I'm the same way with series.... sometimes it's just so hard to follow through with them. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always struggled with that. When a series is published in its entirety I find it easier to read then.

      I hope you have a good week!

      Delete
  3. Ah, yes, I can relate to how we can disconnect from books at times...I notice this happening most with books that are overly detailed or go back and forth in time too much. Some authors do that leap successfully, while others...well, not so much. I had a book I was slogging through this weekend. It was painful!

    Enjoy your new week, and if you have to DNF a book or two, that's okay. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Laurel. I've taken to DNF'ing a lot this year (too many books, too little time) but I don't know if my ease of abandoning now means I don't try hard enough with certain books.

      I hope you have a lovely week!

      Delete
  4. I haven't been able to settle on a book to read for two days. It's so frustrating - I hate when these moods strike me. I hope everything is ok, and you enjoy the rest of that series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating, especially when you want to read. I find taking those couple of days away from reading really helped me to go back with a clearer mind.

      Thank you, Brandie!

      Delete
  5. I hope you enjoy that series and you soon get out of your reading slump. Here is my Monday Report. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe third time lucky with a reading of the book! All your books are totally new to me, hope you find one you totally love among them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it turns out to be third time lucky with More Than This... If I end up abandoning next time round then I think I'll just have to properly give up with it.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I have done that too with a book, but I tell myself that sometimes you just have to give it up. :)

    My son wants those Miss Peregrine's books.

    Have a wonderful reading week, and thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much better at just giving up books now than I used to be, but I don't know if I do it with too much ease now.

      I hope you have a lovely week!

      Delete
  8. These are some interesting covers. I think I have book one on my TBR. I've read many series where just reading the first book was enough or I'm slow to read the second. Mahalo for dropping by my blog; have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting is a good choice of word... I'd go with creepy :-P Haha!

      Series are a funny old thing, and I think unless you're truly invested it can be hard to continue.

      Delete
  9. I totally forgot about Disclaimer, saw it a few months ago and wanted to read it, and as sometimes happens never got it and it sort of faded away. Too many book LOL. You reminded me I wanted to read it- thank you! And I see it's 1.99 at the moment- bonus. Early Christmas for me LOL.

    It is hard t ofinish a book sometimes that is just not clicking... I usually have to move on too.

    Hope you have great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disclaimer is definitely one of those books that the blogging community 'made' me buy. I hope you enjoy it, if, or when, you get round to reading it.

      Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  10. I haven't read the Peregrine series yet. I don't do so well with creepy, so I will be looking for your review so I can determine if I should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creepy is something many tend to avoid... I'm okay with creepy in books but not so much film format.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig