Wednesday, 9 December 2015

Christmas Reading | The Snow Queen and Other Winter Tales

The past two books shared in this feature were books I had read, but today I'm switching gears and showcasing a book I recently purchased and that would make an amazing gift for other book lovers, especially those who enjoy classic literature and fairy tales.


Isn't she beautiful?
 
I've been admiring the Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics for quite some time. Being that they are a tad pricey, I've put off buying many of the editions that I've really wanted. But if there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I love winter books - reading in winter, books set in winter, books set at Christmas (especially those), ghost stories in winter - you get the picture, and so I just couldn't pass up this edition. I will say, now that I've seen the beauty of this one in physical form (B&N editions are a little hard to come by here in the UK as we don't have Barnes & Noble) I'm kind of tempted to get more....
 
Although The Snow Queen is its notable story, you'll find a varied collection of one hundred tales inside featuring some you may well have read before from iconic writers including, Hans Christian Andersen, Charles Dickens, Louisa May Alcott and Alexandre Dumas as well as fairy tales you'll have probably heard of before too. I haven't actually read this particular book yet, but some of the featured stories I have read in other treasuries and there appears to be a story for every kind of mood.
 
The book itself is just stunning. Weighty and well made, the cover is very sturdy and basically a work of art. The colour scheme of blue and silver is perfect for the winter season, and intricate snowflake pattern that adorns the cover is just beautiful, making the book an eye catcher, but truly highlighted when in the light and wonderfully sparkly. I also like the extra detail of the pages being lined in silver as well as a built in silver ribbon book mark. It's all about the details.

 
If you, or someone you know, enjoys collecting books of this nature (I call them treasuries, I don't know if that's entirely correct), then they won't be left disappointed unwrapping this on Christmas morning.  
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. So beautiful! I have the B and N edition of Arabian Nights - they make some lovely books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I just got a few more of these B&N Classics when they had a holiday sale (and free US shipping -- bummer about them being hard to get in the UK!) If you do add any to your collection, I would just say be careful about some of the bigger treasuries -- like the ones with 5+ collected novels -- while the books (especially covers!) are beautiful, sometimes the font is just so darn tiny! And some leave out the illustrations or drastically cut back on them -- I definitely did my research after realizing this. There are lots of ones that are not like that though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... What editions did you pick up? How many do you have in your collection now?

      Ah, thanks for the tip! I'll have to do some research too, for future reference!

      Delete
    2. I recently picked up Aesop's Fables, The Wizard of Oz, Peter Rabbit, and CHarlotte's Web -- all of those look just lovely inside! Lots of illustrations and attractive, read-able print. Some of the others I already had...not quite so much! Maybe I should do a post one of these days :)

      Delete
    3. I'd love to see a post on your B&N collection!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig