Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Book Haul | January

If you read my 2016 | Bookish Goals post, then you'll know I'm aiming to buy only 4 books a month in order to achieve the goal of just 15 books on my TBR by the end of 2016 - well, I've succeeded in the first month - woo! - and I hope it continues.
 
I've two books to share with you today, both of them purchased in the same shopping trip at the start of January. I haven't purchased a single book since then despite have two books still remaining - I'm thinking a lot more about my purchases now that I'm limited.
 
When first walking into the bookshop I gravitated towards The Girl On The Train. I hadn't seen this particular cover before and it really caught my eye. I don't know if I'm going to enjoy The Girl On The Train, I have yet to read it, so was contemplating going with the original cover art edition but when I discovered they were both the same price there was really no option. I'm a sucker for a pretty cover!
 
 
As I continued to peruse the shop I stumbled upon the classic literature section. I'm fond of reading classics, however my local library, nor my local bookshop, have a particularly large section, so I took advantage of being in a city bookstore and had a good old browse. I ended up coming away with this beautiful collection of Edgar Allen Poe stories. I've never read any of Poe's work, but I've heard such good things and being a lover of darker/gothic classics his always been on my to read list.
 
 
I've linked both books to the shop I bought them from - Waterstones, the main high street book shop in the UK - but for some reason on their website the cover of the above book is a lot darker than in actuality; the picture I've shared is a better representation.
 
Alongside these two physical books I also signed up for Audible in January - I'm not classing that as a book purchase this month as the first book is a free credit, but future months will be included as an actual book purchase. The book I picked to use my first credit on was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. If you know me, then you know I have read the entire Harry Potter series multiple times before, but given I'm a newbie to audiobooks I wanted to start with something familiar, and that's what felt right. I've really been won over by the audiobook format and will be continuing to read books by that method, although they will never replace a physical book. I'm going to be doing a post in February specifically focusing on audiobooks.
 
What books did you purchase in January?
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. That's a really unique cover for The Girl on the Train! I like it! I hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books are beautiful. I hope you enjoy them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great how putting a limit on yourself really does help you be more careful in your selections of new books? Being too restrictive increases the chances we'll just eventually go overboard and binge I think, but putting some parameters in place that make us think twice before an impulse buy is a great thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Christine. I thought I would struggle with this challenge of mine and want all the books, but it's definitely helping me change my outlook on how I view book buying, and what I buy too.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig