Thursday, 14 January 2016

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts | 001


One | I've started reading the much loved series that is The Chronicles of Narnia for the very first time. It may well be shocking to some that these classic children's books were not a part of my own childhood, but so far I'm loving the whimsy of it all, even as an adult. I love exploring new to me books that I hope to share with my own son one day.
 
Two | If you're a regular reader here on Reading With Jade you'll notice that I've been including actual photos in my posts so far this year, as opposed to book graphics. I've experimented with my own photos here before but always returned to graphics because I felt my photos weren't on par with the standard of many other book bloggers. This year I'm letting that feeling go - I can't improve my skills without actually taking photos after all. I love photography - I actually have a separate photography blog where I share some nature type snaps, but I'm really bad when it comes to pictures indoors. It's good to work on things you enjoy, but perhaps aren't so good at. Step outside your comfort zone.

Three | Sticking with book blogging things... I've been using an adapted version of bullet journaling to keep all my bits and bobs in order for my blog and am loving the system so far. I only discovered bullet journaling towards the end of last year but immediately purchased a suitable notebook to get myself started. I'll probably share more about my own personal system in the future, when I've been using it a bit longer, but I see myself carrying this style of organising over to general day to day life too.

Four | We've booked a holiday! Okay, it's more of a little trip, but we're off to the seaside town of Brighton in May for a few nights. This will be our first official family holiday - we had one booked last year but were unfortunately not able to go in the end - and I'm super excited. I'm not sure how travelling with a two and a half year old is going to be, especially seen as it's quite the journey, but I'm looking forward to exploring a place that holds many childhood memories for me with my own family.
 
Five | With the winter break over, it means all toddler's classes are back on - yay! The downside to that, we didn't actually get to go to any classes. Alexander woke up on Tuesday morning full of cold and has been poorly since. Our days have been full sleep (him, not me, unfortunately), cuddles and snotty tissues.

Six | I bought a crockpot (more commonly known as a slow cooker here in the UK). I've been wanting to get one for a while now but always put off purchasing due to lack of space in the kitchen, but something clicked towards the end of last year - probably one too many takeaways due to laziness some days - and I was just like, I'm getting one. I'm doing it. I love how I'm making buying a crockpot sound like a monumental decision. Anyway, I haven't used it yet because I only got it yesterday, but I'm sure you'll hear about all the Pinterest recipes I've been making in due course.  
 
Seven| Netflix UK has Still Alice available to watch... I'm umming and ahhing about watching it. I read the book last year and it was probably my standout favourite of the year, but I just don't know how the adaptation is going to fare. If you've read the book as well as seen the film, let me know your thoughts.
 
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I shamefully have never read Narnia. It's not a series I've ever had any interest in, although I wish it were! I'm the same way with Harry Potter (I know, I'm terrible!!).

    Your photos are beautiful and you should share them!!

    I hope your son is feeling better. Nothing worse than a sick child. :(

    Yay for booking a holiday!! It's so nice to get away for a few days. I hope you enjoy!

    You've seen how much I love my crock pot these days. It's one thing that has helped me get better at making dinners. And Pinterest has been instrumental in that, too! I think you'll really enjoy it once you start using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I love stories like that - anything with a bit of magic and I'm interested. Haha! I totally see how those kinds of stories aren't everyone's cup of tea though.

      Ah, thank you, Brandie - I have a lot of practise ahead of me though.

      Alexander's getting there with his illness... He has his personality back now which is great! I think that's a sign of being on the mend.

      Thank you!

      Haha! You're sharing of pins here and there is one of the things that pushed me to get a crockpot - also, most recipes I find on Pinterest these days require a crockpot! I'm hoping it'll help me get back on track with dinners, and enjoy making food again. It kind of all went to pot for a while there. I think I'm going to love the crockpot though!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jade! Thanks for stopping by my blog!! Loved reading your list! Enjoy that slow cooker - they are awesome and totally my style of cooking...throw everything in, walk away, come back hours later and dinner is ready. I despise cooking! Hope your little guy is feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Me and cooking have an on off relationship - sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it! I think it's going to come in really handy now because even though I'm home all day with the little one, I find spending a lot of time in the kitchen hard because he wants to play with this, or read this etc etc. I can't wait to get started with it.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Narnia either and would like to as an adult. Actually I did read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for a college course, but I never read the rest. Glad you are enjoying them :)

    I love that you are using your own photos! I've done a few book photos myself instead of graphics and I like the look much better...that is if I remember to take the photo before returning the book to the library, lol.

    I am much looking forward to your thoughts on your bullet journal. I've just started hearing about them, but everything I've read about them so far just overwhelms me! I don't have the best handwriting or any sort of artistic drawing skills and so many of these journals look like works of art! People say it is so easy and a great way to be organized, but I just don't even know where to start. I have an overflow of empty notebooks from my school days though that I'd love to put to good use!

    Your trip sounds like lots of fun! I'm sure it will be an adventure with a little one, but certainly a memorable adventure :)

    And yay for a new slow cooker! If not for my slow cooker, I'm not sure we would have eaten any homemade meals in the past 8 months. These Taco Chicken Rice Bowls are a favorite recipe of mine if you like Mexican-ish dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give them a read - I thought perhaps I wouldn't get swept in to the magic of them but I totally have! I think I would have loved them as a child!

      I'm glad I'm continuing to use my own photos. We easily compare ourselves when it comes to our blogs, but a blog is unique to its host and so it doesn't matter if my pictures aren't as beautiful or creative as others - they're mine. Y'know. Haha! That's the one thing with taking your own photos though, you have to be extra organised!

      Ah - you should give bullet journaling ago, especially with an abundance of empty notebooks around. I think I'm going to do a post on my journal after I've been using it a month, but if you saw it now you'd know I'm one of the least creative people ever! Honestly, I'm terrible, especially with artistic stuff, but the concept and premise behind bullet journaling is amazing and honestly makes you so organised. I kind of thought it was something I'd try and then just leave - as I do with my general planner - but I'm excited to pull out my journal daily and work on it. I've never been that person before. I think the important thing with bullet journaling is not making it beautiful (you're right, there are some works of art out there) but making it work for you. Give it a go!

      Thanks for the recipe - it sounds like my kind of meal, I've pinned it!

      Delete
  4. I read Narnia as an adult as well and I loved it.

    I canʻt wait to see more about your adapted bullet journal! I love the whole bullet journal concept. It definitely makes planning less stressful for me.

    I love my slow cooker--enjoy yours! My favorite is crockpot lasagna, so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I'd love it as much as I am. That's the sign of a great children's story I think .

      Yes - I feel so organised using an adapted version of the bullet journal. I love it! I wish I had discovered it sooner!

      I think I'm going to love the crockpot; I've got so many meals planned.

      Delete
  5. The Chronicles of Narnia are some of my most beloved books from my childhood. I'm so glad you're enjoying the magic of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I think the fact that The Chronicles of Narnia can be loved just as much by an adult as well as the intended audience of child makes it an incredible children's story.

      Delete
  6. 3. Any project that requires the purchase of stationery is a good project in my opinion!
    7. I've read the book and seen the movie and I did prefer the book (but I nearly always do). That said, the film is very, very good and Julianne Moore is incredible. Worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I quite agree!

      Ah, thank you for sharing your thoughts - I haven't had much luck finding someone who has read the book and watched the film. It sounds like I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  7. I love that you are taking your own pictures. I should start doing that too - they are certainly more interesting that way.

    I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Narnia when you finish. I loved them as a kid...ok, I still love them as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I really like about book photography on a blog is that you get a better feel for a book cover than you would with a graphic. You should give it ago!

      Haha - I'm loving them so far!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig