Thursday, 28 January 2016

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts | 002

 
One | I initially thought I'd take part in this linky weekly, but then I realised how little I had to share, and so instead of boring you all I scaled it back to posting one of these every other week.

Two | I've had my first DNF of 2016 - You by Caroline Kepnes. Last year I think I may have abandoned books a little too quickly, so this year I'm trying to make sure I give a book a fair chance before setting it aside. It used to be a 50 page thing, but this year I'm aiming for 100 pages plus. If I'm really not feeling a book after that point, then I'll be abandoning it. I know some people don't give up on books, even when they really dislike a book, but I'm of the theory that there are far too many books out there that I want to read so why waste time on those I'm not enjoying. What are your thoughts on DNF'ing a book?

Three | General life observation: Pyjamas are never quite the same after that first initial wear.
 
Four | We took Alexander, our toddler son, for a speech therapy assessment last Saturday. I came away from the appointment with very mixed feelings. I feel we got a little out of the appointment, but at the same time brushed off too. Of all the milestones Alexander should be at in speech, he isn't meeting any of them. He understands things perfectly well, up to level on those as well as practical and social skills, it's just the words aren't coming out plus he talks the majority of the time with his mouth closed. The lady herself was really nice, and shared a few techniques that for the most part seemed like common sense to me and things we already put in to practise, but we're going to implement these further and see how he progresses over the next two months. If Alexander is still not up to date then she recommends returning to her. My issue isn't with the lady, nor the advice given, it's just I think I expected more. Not like an overnight answer, of course, but I feel like Alexander is just getting further and further behind his peers and this is going to impact things further down the line - hence why we're trying to get this sorted now. The speech is putting us behind in other areas and as a parent it's all just really frustrating.

Five | I don't know if I'm behind on the Netflix uploads or something, but I discovered Season 6 of The Good Wife on Netflix this past weekend and managed next to no reading in my spare time over the weekend period because of that. I'm still working through episodes, but balancing watching and reading a little more efficiently now.
 
Six | The slow cooker has been broken in with its first meal this week - on Monday I made chilli. I've always been familiar with slow cookers, both my mum and nan using them growing up, but this was my first cooking experience myself. I love it. I see it being used at least once a week. What I love about it in particular is having leftovers. We all have those nights where we just don't have the time, or just don't feel like cooking and so it's nice to have a wholesome homemade meal ready to heat up and go. Also, this was actually my first time making chilli - I think it's more popular in the US than UK - and it went down a treat!
 
Seven | I've been so tired this week; truly feeling sleep deprived. I'm someone who always struggles with sleep on and off but I just can't catch up this week. I'm lucky in the sense that I'm not run ragged from a job whilst feeling like this, but a toddler isn't that much better!! I've been doing very little in my spare time other than vegging... Which means I'm lacking on blog posts this week because not only have I not finished a book (which would be Friday's post) but I also haven't had the concentration level to sit and sort through my jumbled mind which means no Sunday post either. I'm not too fussed by this - blogging is just a hobby so why force posts out, right? I just wanted it noted that this will be the last post for this week.
 
Eight | I'm going to end it with this one... It's actually February next week... How? Just, how?!

SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I am pro DNF. It only takes me about 30% in before I'll call it quits if the book isn't working for me. I hate wasting time on something I'm not enjoying, when I have too many others to read. Not saying that I won't try revisiting the book some day in the future, I have done that for a few, and it was a case of mood and timing. There's just not enough time to waste on books we aren't enjoying.

    My best friend has been through the speech therapy with her son, so I can sympathize a little with how you're feeling. I've watched her frustration for years and I wish I could help. I'm not too familiar with the process, but I'd say if you aren't happy with the outcome, maybe a second opinion would be worth a try?

    Yay for slow cookers!! Chili is one of my favorite meals, although I never make it in the crockpot - I should! It makes life a lot easier for sure.

    I hope you're able to catch up on your sleep. It's horrible having to go through day after day feeling sluggish and tired, especially wearing yourself out chasing a little one!

    I can't believe it's almost February, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the DNF'ing, Brandie. There are too many books out there to slog through a book you aren't enjoying, especially if you're a mood reader. I'm a big mood reader and so a book that may not be working for me in that moment may well be loved further down the line - I try to return to my DNF's, although depending on the reason I abandoned. You is a book that I don't think I'll be revisiting.

      It's tough - but hearing stories of people who have been through the speech therapy route is encouraging. We have another route to go down the speech therapy, a speech therapy group that our health visitor is referring us for but the referral is taking quite some time and so we stepped in with our own private assessment. Hopefully something comes from the group though.

      Ah, let's not even talk about sleep - I don't know what's wrong with me at the moment and I'm just not feeling too good all round but I'm hoping things are on the up now. It's been one of those bad days, but multiple bad days!! I hope you were able to have a relaxing weekend, catching up on sleep and feeling better!

      I feel like time just flies by lately!

      Delete
  2. I love The Good Wife! It will be interesting to see what happens after the current season, since the creators will be leaving.

    The slow cooker is such a life saver, isn't it? There are so many good recipes to try out, especially when it's cold and dreary outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea the creators were leaving The Good Wife - hmm, it'll be interesting to see where the show goes after that. In my experience, creators leaving doesn't usually end well :-/

      I'm kind of a bit overwhelmed by all the slow cooker recipes. Haha!

      Delete
  3. I feel ya with the speech therapy. My son went through it as well, and it sure was nerve-wrecking. It will get better though <3 It just takes time. However, I can promise you that once he starts talking, there will be times when you wish he would stop! Lol!

    I can't believe it's February next week! It's like, where did January go?!

    http://readsandtreats.com/2016/01/28/bookish-not-so-bookish-thoughts-17/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, it's encouraging to hear stories from those who have gone through the speech therapy process.

      Delete
  4. I was going to write about slow cooker meals in my thoughts this week, but it slipped my mind! Anywho...I love slow cooker meals. Iʻve got a six month old who is learning how to get into everything so popping on the slow cooker in the morning gives me time to focus on keeping her out of trouble!

    I hope you get the chance to relax a little and maybe get some sleep. I hate the feeling of being so sluggish that it just seems like everything is going too fast and kicking me in the bum. A good rest usually clears that all up real fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I see how the slow cooker comes in super handy for you then. I'm glad we have a slow cooker, but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the recipes out there!!

      Ah, thank you!

      Delete
  5. I love slow cookers, especially in the colder seasons. I've also been super tired this week...though I think it's partly situational, related to work...ugh. I, for one, am glad it is almost February. January has been rough on me. Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the slow cooker being used much more during these colder months as opposed to summer and such - so many homemade comfort foods to be made in there.

      Ah, sorry to hear that. I hope February picks up for you, Krystyn.

      Delete
  6. I'm getting better at DNF'ing...and I've also been trying to improve my culling skills and just admit that I own books I don't have any interest in anymore. Letting go of books can be hard, but I think it's important.

    And I'm sorry to hear about the speech frustrations. It's hard to know what the right thing is to do, right? But I think you guys are on the right track by looking into it, trying some things, and giving it some more time. No one can blame a parent for being concerned about their kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're making leaps and bounds with cutting down your unread books, Christine. Culling books is so hard, but hang on in there!

      Yes, thank you, Christine. I know it just takes time, but I feel like we're on the right track in the speech department. We have a speech group that our health visitors have put us on the wait list for so hopefully something comes of that.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig