Tuesday, 26 January 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesdays Intros | The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

The premise behind First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is to share the first paragraph or so of the book you are currently reading or intending to read soon. The book I shared last week, You, ended up being a dud for me so I'm hoping for better luck with this week's read. I'm already part way through my current book of The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. I had a bit of difficulty this week with this post as there is an 'Introduction' before 'Chapter One', so I'm sharing both the short introduction as well as the starting paragraph or so of the first chapter.

 
Introduction
I am writing this for you.
My enemy.
My friend.
You know, already, you must know.
You have lost.

First Paragraph(s)
The second cataclysm began in my eleventh life, in 1996. I was dying my usual death, slipping away in a warm morphine haze, which she interrupted like an ice cube down my spine.

She was seven, I was seventy-eight. She had straight blonde hair worn in a long pigtail down her back, I had bright white hair, or at least remnants of the same. I wore a hospital gown designed for sterile humility; she, bright-blue school uniform and felt cap. She perched on the side of my bed, her feet dangling off it, and peered into my eyes. She examined the heart monitor plugged into my chest, observed where I'd disconnected the alarm, felt for my pulse, and said, "I nearly missed you, Dr August."

Would you continue reading?

SHARE:

18 comments

  1. OK, I'd definitely need to continue reading. I love that cover. Kind of makes me dizzy though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, it sounds eerily tempting. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the premise behind this book - I haven't read anything quite like it.

      Delete
  3. Whoa - that is one compelling opening paragraph! I nee more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to read this book for quite a while, the opening has confirmed that I should - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I hope you enjoy when you do get round to reading it.

      Delete
  5. I love the cover and the intro but, I'm not sure this is a me book - I should just try it LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's understandable - it's good to step outside our comfort reading zone from time to time.

      Delete
  6. I like the opening very much. I'm not at all familiar with the book, but you've definitely got me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It's the kind of intro that grabs your attention.

      Delete
  8. The intro grabbed my attention, but the intro didn't keep it as much as I would have liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it's nice to be attention grabbing, but holding that attention is very important.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig