Sunday, 10 January 2016

Introducing Children's Books on Reading With Jade

As I mentioned in my 'Bookish Goals' post, I'm going to start sharing children's books here on Reading With Jade. I have a toddler aged son (2) and we are constantly reading so it only seems natural to transition some of those titles here on to the blog. Whilst I love sharing the books that I enjoy, I also think it's quite important to encourage reading from a young age, and with children variety is essential. I mean, yeah, sure, he wants to read Were Going On A Bear Hunt a million and one times, but there are plenty more books to pick from... I can recite that book word for word now. Variety in books is good for little ones as not only does it help with learning words and forming sentences but books are their very own portal in a way, building them as a person, finding out what things they do and don't like, discovering experiences in life they have yet to come across, and paving the way for a creative imagination. I'm always on the look out for new books, and so I figure others are too - just as we as book bloggers look for recommendations - and so thought I'd share a few of my own.
 
I don't want my readers who have no interest in children's book to think that this is in anyway going to take away from my current content as that won't be the case. As and when I want to share about a particular book that post will go up on a Sunday, just as this post has, a day I didn't post on previously.
 
As a way of introducing children's books here on Reading With Jade, I thought I'd share the books that formed the foundation of my son's ever growing book collection, but more importantly the first books bought that we still read now to this day.
 
It's safe to say that in the past year I've gone a little crazy on the book buying front for my son, but well warranted when he loves to read - now is prime time to encourage that - he even has his own little reading corner in the living room, arm chair included! I don't know if my son will always be bookish - he is still very young after all - but he does have two bookish parents and so naturally books were to be a predominant part of childhood. When we first started a book collection for him, it was pretty small, but gradually grew to the point where his book count probably rivals my own! Today I'm sharing seven of those initial books as well as a box set.
 
 
 
When building a book collection it made sense to go down the route of familiar, even classic children's books. A number of the above titles I remember reading as a youngster myself, so being able to discover those adventures with my own little one is pretty amazing. On the theme of familiar is nursery rhymes, they're something forever being sung to children and so books of your child's favourite nursery rhyme is a great way to get them reading if they aren't particularly interested in story books.
 
Many people find making reading a part of the bed time routine a good way to introduce books. Initially we went down this route, but we no longer read books at bedtime - it just doesn't fit with our child as reading is something that interests and excites him so even the most lulling story doesn't aid in drifting off. If you are looking for a lovely bedtime read though I would recommend checking out the 'Sleepytime Stories' I've linked above - the illustrations are fun and vibrant, even playing with texture a little, and the stories all revolve around animals and friendship.
 
Interactive books are always a winner, regardless of age I think. Books with flaps, or buttons to press, or the punched holes in The Very Hungry Caterpillar all draw a child in to the book more than just reading words. Feeling involved and a part of the book naturally makes the reading experience more enjoyable.
 
Lastly, and briefly, I'm going to talk about the collection of Peter Rabbit books. I snagged this box set on a really great deal and am so happy to have! Beatrix Potter is a quintessential part of childhood, especially a British childhood, and her tales of animals frolicking in the outdoors teamed with simple yet stunning illustrations are sure to be a hit. I think some people often overlook the darker elements of her books - i.e. Peter potentially being made in to a pie if he is seen in a human's garden once more - but I think it is this semi accurate portrayal of the outdoors, the food chain and such that contributes to the success of the stories even to this day. A box set like this of some classic children's stories is great to keep hold of even when your little one grows out of it because you can pass them to their future children, which I think is really nice.
 
What books do you remember fondly from your child's childhood, or even your own?
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I love reading books with my kids that I loved as a child! We had a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar that was well-loved by both of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar is such a hit with children!

      Delete
  2. So excited for these new posts! :) I love 'Guess How Much I Love You' too and have a copy for my son's shelf. We've borrowed many others by that author from the library though and enjoyed them as well.

    You are right that the interactive books are great for little ones...they are not my personal favorites, but that's not really the point! The little guy loves textures, so we've started with some of those recently.

    We don't generally read at bedtime either, but rather whenever I think of it or am looking for an activity to do with him during the day. I think the bedtime routine may come into play when he gets older -- even older than your son I think -- maybe more like school-age.

    One of the B&N collectible classics I recently bought is a collected volume of all the Peter Rabbit stories! I am finishing up one other "treasury" of stories right now and then I think that one is next :) :) Which also remind me that I've been wanting to do that post about these beauties...one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Christine!

      In the way of interactive books, I don't really like the lift the flap books. I like them, and I like reading them with the little one, but the thing I don't like is how they are no longer 'pristine' after the one reading. Haha! Parent problems eh.

      I agree with you on reading at bedtime. I'm sure when Alexander is in school, reading will become a part of the evening routine, especially full time school when there will be very little opportunities to pull a book out and read together. We're at the point now where I'm not necessarily the one to pull the books out in the daytime, Alexander is, and I just love that!

      I bet the Peter Rabbit B&N edition is beautiful!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I do hope my son is the one to reach for the books someday! That is just lovely :)

      Delete
  3. I think it's a wonderful thing to encourage reading in our children. I love that my daughter enjoys reading and books as much as me! The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of her favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when you love books and have a bookish child yourself - I hope the enjoyment continues for years to come!

      Delete
  4. I love that you are doing this!! I can't wait to see what you two are reading together. And I don't think it will detract from your other content at all. :)

    I added children's books to my blog, but I feel it just rounds it out. Lol. I have a ton of books for Wyatt too. For Christmas I cut myself off at buying him 6 books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin!

      Haha! I struggled with Christmas book buying too. I ended up giving him one book bundle before Christmas because I just thought it was too many books! Lol!

      Delete
  5. These new posts of yours are perfectly timed for me! I've got a little one arriving in April. I'm sure his book collection will be quite large, since we're already getting lots of books as gifts. I'll be sure to add some of your selections to our collection! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig