Thursday, 21 January 2016

TAG | Unpopular Opinion Book Tag

I was tagged by Ashley from Book Junkie: Not-So-Anonymous (thanks!) to do the Unpopular Opinion Book Tag. The tag was originally created on YouTube by The Book Archer and I guess it transitioned to the book blogging community too.  
 
This is actually my first tag on Reading With Jade, but I see more featuring here in the future. On to the questions...
 
One | A popular book or series you don't like.
Some people are surprised that I didn't much enjoy The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. There was just so much hype and I fell in to all of it which resulted in my expectations not being met. Originally I kept the book on my shelves to reread in the future, but I ultimately donated it because I just didn't think it would work out a second time round either.
 
Two | A popular book or series everyone hates, but you love.
I wouldn't necessary say 'loved' as I know it has had some mixed reviews, but late last year I gave The Maze Runner series a go and we just didn't connect. The first book was captivating enough, but it rapidly went down hill after that. I much preferred the film, although I have only seen the first.
 
Three | A love triangle where you don't like who the main character ended up with.
I'm taking it back a good few years here, but that would definitely be in Twilight. I was 100% Team Jacob.
 
Four | A popular genre you hardly read.
Definitely fantasy and science fiction. Fantasy in particular is pretty big in YA right now, but a lot of fantasy novels just don't translate well for me. Books that involve a lot of world building and looking outside the normal realms are hard for me to imagine with words; I much prefer them in movies. This applies to dystopian novels too, although I do give those a try now and again.
 
Five | A popular or beloved character that you hate.
I honestly can't think of one. I don't think I've ever really 'hated' a character, because even when I strongly dislike a character there is still an element of appreciation to the writing skill, especially if its a villainous character, and so I don't hate any character really. Even one I strongly dislike doesn't come to mind.
 
Six | A popular author you can't seem to get in to.
The first author that springs to mind is Haruki Murakami. I'm sure there are more, because it just isn't possible to love every author, but he is the first that comes to mind because I'm hoping to give his work another try this year - a last ditch attempt if you will.
 
Seven | A popular trope you're tired of reading.
There are a lot of things that we see repeated in books, naturally so, but one thing I would like to see change or just in a light than what I've read is the ever popular love triangle. I get it, it's a conflict, it's a talking point, it can be done really well in some instances, but not all instances. Sometimes it's present in a book for no real reason at all.
 
Eight | A popular series you have no interest in reading.
The Hunger Games series. The Mortal Instruments series. Just generally a lot of the popular YA series... Although the two I've mentioned are 'older' now. Only because I don't keep up with very many YA series, so I don't even know what ones are new/relevant. I find YA series in particular to be everywhere, and that alone puts me off reading them. Also, there seems to be an emphasis on fantasy right now, and I've already shared my thoughts on that above.
 
Nine | A movie that you liked better than the books.
Atonement. I read the book when I was a far bit younger... Perhaps a little too young to fully appreciate it, I don't know, but I love the film (which I watched a couple of years after my reading of the book) and felt very underwhelmed by the book at the time. I have said that I would like to reread the book now that I am that bit older.
 
Thanks again to Ashley for tagging me - I tag anyone who wants to take part!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I hear you on the YA series! I haven't given up on them, but the prevalence of them versus stand-alones can be really irritating sometimes. Can't a story ever be told in just one book?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I totally get that, Christine - have you seen the length of some of these series too?! And a lot of the time they're quite chunky books.. Although anything over 400 pages is chunky to me. Haha!

      Delete
  2. I was team Jacob for a little while too...but once Edward came back, I couldn't help but go back to being team Edward. :) I also am kind of tired of love triangles. Honestly, I'd like to see more books about friendship, or overcoming something huge without a love interest. They could even be family related instead: siblings, parents/children, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd like to see more topics such as those without a love interest. Honestly, that's one of the reasons I gravitated towards middle grade books. I know they seem 'juvenile' to some, but there are some really great stories to be found there.

      Delete
  3. Haha, I might have to try out this tag. It seems like a fun way to find people who share less common opinions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really disliked the first Hunger Games book and never finished the series. I felt like I was in the minority on that! And I felt the same about Mortal Instruments, too! I think I read the first 2 or 3 books and got bored.

    I have never read The Fault in our Stars and have zero desire to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes with series, not necessarily the ones you mentioned specifically, the series is prolonged and then some books just feel like fillers when the story could just have been rounded off in the one slightly longer book. I have such commit issues with series and that's one of the reasons why. Plus I'm forgetful and a flitty reader, not good traits when it comes to reading a series.

      Haha! You're probably one of the few I've heard with that opinion on The Fault in our Stars - I mostly read it because I was curious what all the buzz was about.

      Delete
  5. I was a bit meh on The Fault in Our Stars too, so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt that way! xD And I completely agree about fantasy. I'm a really logical person, so it's difficult for me to imagine fantasy worlds too. I never know what to visualize them as (an external world / just a fantasized version of our current world / alternate reality / etc, etc.) Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. :)Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're few and far between! The general consensus of The Fault In Our Stars was pretty positive.

      It can be quite hard with fantasy worlds, especially when they're vastly different from our own world, which is why I find them better portrayed in films. I don't mind fantasy in films. I feel like everyone loves fantasy books at the moment though!

      Thanks for visiting :-)

      Delete
  6. I love mostly everything about YA and fantasy buuuut...I think it's hard to find a really GOOD YA fantasy that's all fleshed out and well developped?!? I feel like it sacrifices on the world building so much which is sad. D: Especially for epic fantasy! I'm a lover of TFIOS and The Mortal Instruments, and The Maze Runner and co...buuut, I do see why they don't appeal to everyone! Plus so much has been spoiled about them, right?!? And that really sucks.
    I barely EVER read good love triangles anymore. ARGHHH. That's a cliche I'd love to see go quietly away. XD

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of my issue - when the world building isn't the focus and the characters or plot are, I'm lost in this new to me world that I've barely created in my imagination, but then when the world building is fleshed out perfectly and the characters and plot aren't then of course the story is just kind of meh anyway. I do keep trying every now and then with YA fantasy, I'm just not drawn to it like others are.

      Yes! If you know too much going in to a book then the reading experience is definitely dampened - I think that kind of happened with The Fault In Our Stars for me, because I read Extraordinary Means which was somewhat loosely similar in theme and loved that, but I knew next to nothing going in to it.

      Love triangles, be gone! :-P

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig