Thursday, 18 February 2016

BBAW | Day 4 | Community Connections

Being active within your given community is a large part of blogging whatever the area, but I feel like book blogging is one of the most interactive communities - we just can't stop gabbing, about books and so much more!

With social media ever evolving, there are a number of ways in which we can keep in touch with our favourite bloggers, authors, and even publishing houses. We all tend to have a preferred method of communication and today I'm going to be talking about my own - commenting.

Commenting is an important part of the community, but perhaps often overlooked nowadays in favour of other social media platforms. Sites such as Twitter, and even Instagram, are used widely now with the book blogging community, especially because they are an instant way to keep up with our favourites and friends. Commenting is more of a commitment in comparison, if that makes sense. It's not necessarily at the touch of your smartphone like a social media app may be. A comment tends to be longer, requiring more time and thought, than a message that is 140 characters or less. That's not to say a tweet, or any other form of communication, is lesser than commenting in any way shape or form.

So, why do I prefer commenting over all else?

I'm very much an old school person... I'm not very tech savvy, nor up with the trends, social media or otherwise. I don't own a smartphone, although I do own a tablet. Commenting feels like more of a natural way in which to communicate for me. Being able to return to the one place, chit chat with everyone all in the one go, spending dedicated time in which to communicate with those who have taken their time to reach out.

In the similar vein, I like to interact with the bloggers I follow largely through the comment system. It's nice to receive comments, and get feedback on what you've shared, with opinions going to and fro.

I know many of us would blog without the comments, but they do make blogging a whole lot more fun. I think commenting is also the easiest way to connect with new to me bloggers, and I tend to fall in an abyss when it comes to the comments section - finding one new blog, and from there more and more.

What is your preferred method of keeping up with the community?
 
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. I like to comment on as many posts as I can, although lately blogger is acting up, and I never receive notifications when someone responds. It's frustrating. But anyways, I enjoy commenting and getting comments on my posts. I love that interaction! It's pretty much the only way I communicate with other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same, Brandie. Commenting is largely the only way I interact with other bloggers too. I think like you can natter a bit more that way too.

      I know all about those issues with blogger of late too!

      Delete
  2. I have Twitter and Instagram but I agree that commenting is the best way to communicate and connect with other bloggers. Plus, I still get a little buzz of excitement when I get an email saying I have a comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we all love receiving comments - it's nice that someone has taken their time to interact with you.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite ways to find new blogs to follow is by commenting hopping--I look at who is regularly commenting on my favorite blogs and then go from there. It is difficult to find the time, though--sometimes I'll go days without opening my computer, but I always have my phone in hand which is why Twitter and IG are my go to places these days. I absolutely agree with you that comments make blogging much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding time to comment can be hard, especially with the sheer volume of blogs around these days. I totally understand why Twitter and Instagram are largely popular now.

      Delete
  4. Commenting is my favourite way of connecting with other bloggers, to show appreciation and recognition for what they post. I love getting comments and over time you build online friendships and similarities which is remarkable. I don't use any social media for blogging. LibraryThing is for my personal notes and Goodreads is where I post reviews outside of my blog.

    BTW - you were part of my response yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Marce, commenting is great for showing appreciation. Even though many of us would blog without the comments, it's nice to know someone has taken the time from their day to talk and interact with you.

      When I first started blogging I didn't really realise that I'd make friendships from blogging, but you're right, commenting does build online friendships.

      :-)

      Delete
  5. I don't comment as often as I should, as I find it trying commenting on blogspot posts on my phone - my comments always disappear! And it's hard to find time to sit down at my computer and comment, so many things to do, so many books to read. But BBAW has been great as I love discovering all these newtome blogs like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger / Blogspot can so glitchy, I find. Even when commenting on a laptop.

      Discovering new to me blogs is one of my favourite things - BBAW has been great for that!

      Delete
  6. I agree with you: I think the best connections are made through commenting. When I first started blogging, hardly anyone used Twitter (there was no IG), so commenting was how you got to form real relationships with people. And I used to love it when people would leave long comments with their thoughts...and I don't know if it's because the blogosphere got to be so huge or because there were other formats, but it seemed like the comments started getting shorter, and farther and fewer between. I also know that I started taking long breaks, and even though I still read blogs I didn't participate as much. I'd like to change all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been in the book blogging community for 3/4 years - on and off - but I definitely agree with comments being few and far between, and shorter too. I feel like commenting was huge before the rise in social media platforms such a Twitter. I do see why some people prefer them over the comments system however.

      We're all so busy these days, with so many things we want to, not enough hours in the day, it's easy to let things like blogging drop. Good luck on your goal of trying to participate more!

      Delete
  7. We are definitely on the same wavelength! I love to comment and I love to get comments. I'll like always be this way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're definitely on the same wavelength!

      Delete
  8. I definitely need to comment more, and I've really been trying to do more of that in 2016. I always love getting comments myself, so sharing the love is a must! Plus, like you said, it's a great way to form connections with other bloggers beyond just "liking" and "sharing". Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commenting is quite a big time commitment, and I see why some favour other methods of sharing the love. Good luck with the goal of commenting more!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Commenting is definitely the best way to create lasting relationships with bloggers! It gets super overwhelming for me when I want to comment on like every blog ever. So twitter's definitely a lot more fun and easier to do, along with instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the book blogging community is huge now, and so it's just impossible to comment on all the posts; it's understandable Twitter and Instagram are favoured in some instances. I'm not a part of Instagram, but I feel like the book blogging community is expanding there and I'm forever drooling over the beautiful bookish photography.

      Delete
  10. Commenting is really important to me too...Twitter is great for short interactions, but I need something meatier to establish a relationship. I understand that some people have a hard time fitting in commenting or responding to comments, but it's still a high priority for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with that, Twitter seems like such a flitting thing to me. Comments are better for establishing relationships in that respect. It can be hard to find the time to comment - it's quite the time commitment - but well worth it in my opinion... I'm actually surprised how many people feel the same as you and I do, I thought there would be fair less in agreement.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig