Friday, 19 February 2016

BBAW | Day 5 | Blogger Burnout And How I Avoid It

Burnouts and slumps are so common in the book blogging community - when immersing yourself so deeply in a given topic, naturally you may need a little breather now and then. There is nothing wrong with being in a slump or feeling uninspired, so don't beat yourself up about it if you find yourself in that situation - we've all been there! Today I'm going to share three ways I avoid both blogging and reading burnout.

One | Don't force it.
Blogging shouldn't be a chore... If you're ever at a stage where you feel like blogging is tedious, an effort, or you just aren't enjoying blogging as you once did - step back. Don't force blogging. For the most part we're all hobby book bloggers, and hobbies are something to be enjoyed. Stepping back doesn't mean disappearing, you aren't going to fall in a black hole, people aren't going to forget about you or your blog. Your readers will enjoy your blog more when the content you are sharing is sincere and content you yourself are excited about.

Two | Mix it up.
In a reading slump? I have two tips - it depends on the kind of person you are. My number one tip, and the thing that works for me, is to pick up an old favourite. Delving into a book I know and love is a sure fire way to pull me out of a reading slump. Not everyone is a keen re-reader like I am however, and for those my tip is to mix it up. Step outside your reading comfort zone and pick up something you perhaps otherwise wouldn't. Sometimes, as readers, we stick with what we know and so the books we're reading could tend to be a bit samey or just feel like plots rehashed. When that is the case, reading a book that you would normally avoid is good for mixing things up. It's good to have that break, because often times a slump isn't necessarily material, more mood related.

Three | Keep up with the community.
When we're feeling meh about our blogging or reading, taking ourselves away from the book blogging community seems like a natural thing to do. I've found the best thing to do is the opposite. Staying active in the community is a great way to pull yourself out of a slump. You'll be reading a lot of book related content, discovering new to you books and recs, jumping into discussions about all things bookish, and with the impressive variety of posts to be found in the community you'll be sure to find something inspiring that leaves you wanting to jump right back in to blogging. There is nothing wrong with being inspired by content that someone else has shared, but of course always give credit where credit is due.

How do you avoid blogger burnout?

SHARE:

22 comments

  1. We have the same slump busting strategy! That always works the best to pull me out of the dreaded slump. I agree with not forcing it and I also think bloggers get distracted with what they feel like they should be doing for stats or publisher/author requests and get away from what they want to do. And yes to keeping up with the community! This community is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I totally agree, Katherine. I think we can easily get caught up in the bubble of book blogging and focus on the numbers losing sight of our focus. Your blog is a reflection of you, but sometimes in a bid for popularity that gets pushed aside and you share what you think the community wants to read, as opposed to what you want to share.

      Delete
  2. Mixing it up is a good way to deal with blogging burnout as well. I’m trying to write some fun, personal posts on my blog this year instead of just reviews and Top Ten Tuesday. Blogging was starting to feel repetitive for me.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good idea. When we fall in to a routine, it can get a little repetitive. I look forward to seeing those kinds of posts!

      Delete
  3. All three points are excellent advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Discovering new blogs is another thing that can be really energizing if you're feeling unhappy about blogging. At least, I've found it to be that way! Which is why BBAW has been great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that's so true, Jenny! I've discovered so many amazing new to me blogs through BBAW.

      Delete
  5. Very good points! I especially like the one about staying involved with the book blogging community. Even if all you are doing is reading blogs, but not commenting, I think it helps. And mixing it up is what has saved me from reading burnout over and over.

    It's been nice to get to know you better this week! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even if you aren't interacting, only reading within the community when feeling burnt out, I think soon enough you'll be lured back in :-P

      And you - have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  6. I totally agree with your tip about breaking a reading slump by reading an old favorite. I have used that for years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a tried and true favourite!

      Delete
  7. Mix it up is perfect advice. I am not a reread book lover so going for a genre outside of my norm is usually the way to spark my flow of reading again. Great points Jade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mixing it up is a great thing to do - whether in a slump or not - I know I'm prone to reading a lot of books that would fall in my 'comfort zone'. It's good to break out of that now and then.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. "...you aren't going to fall in a black hole, people aren't going to forget about you or your blog." Thank you for reassuring. :) I am glad to have discovered your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - it's quite true, and we all worry about that in some way or other.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of re-reading. It's not something I do a lot, but I can certainly see how it can bust a reading slump!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great suggestion to immerse yourself into the community! I admit that when I'm feeling overwhelmed or not really feeling it for my blog, I tend to back away but you're right that inspiration might just be around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I used to be the same, back tracking from the community entirely, but keeping up with the community when I left my last blog is what pulled me back in - so I'd highly recommend it now!!

      Delete
  11. The community is a great way to keep things fresh. They can also offer moral support because they have been there, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig