Tuesday, 2 February 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros | These Things Hidden

The premise behind First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is to share the first paragraph or so of the book you are currently reading or intending to read soon. I have yet to finish the book I shared here last week - The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - as I found myself wanted a page turner of a read, as opposed to slow steady savouring pace I'm getting through that read. Turning to my shelves and looking for a page turner, I picked a new to me author last year, but one I will read many more books of in the future - Heather Gudenkauf.
 

First Paragraph(s)
Allison

I stand when I see Devin Kineally walking toward me, dressed as usual in her lawyer-gray suit, her high heels clicking against the tiled floor. I take a big breath and pick up my small bag filled with my new possessions.

Devin's here to take me to the court-ordered halfway house back in Linden Falls, where I'll be living for at least the next six months. I have to prove that I can take care of myself, hold down a job, stay out of trouble. After five years, I'm free to leave Cravenville. I look hopefully over Devin's shoulder, searching for my parents even though I know they won't be there. "Hello, Allison," Devin says warmly. "You all set to get out of here?"

Would you continue reading?

SHARE:

22 comments

  1. I'd keep reading. One of my missions this year is to read books by this author. I think I might have all of them. Hope you enjoy this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if you own some you definitely need to give one a read - the kind of writing style you fall into easily.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I will make a note of this author.I like page turners too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second book by this author, but both have been page turners.

      Delete
  3. I loved this book, as I have loved everything by this author. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you love her work, Laurel.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything by this author, but I definitely will. The opening made me want to find out whether or not Allison succeeds at the halfway house and the challenges she faces.
    Thank you for commenting on my blog post today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree, Sandra. Although the opening isn't one that necessarily grabs your attention, it definitely holds you and raises questions. The plot takes an interesting turn too.

      Like wise - thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I'd keep reading. I like the sound of it. The author is new to me so I will have to check her out. I hope you enjoy your page-turner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margot - I'd recommend checking out Heather Gudenkauf's writing.

      Delete
  6. This is a new-to-me author, but I like the beginning and would give this go.Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, but I do agree it's a somewhat slow read.

    The book you've teased this week is intriguing, and even though it's not my usual genre I actually would really like to try it out!

    My First Chapter First Pararaph Tuesday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so that wasn't just my experience with Harry August - that's good to know.

      It's always good stepping outside your usual reading comfort zone.

      Delete
  8. I want to read this one and liked the intro a lot as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds very interesting! There's a lot to be told in that first paragraph and a lot of questions to be answered. I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/02/teaser-tuesday-icecutters-daughter-2216.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I like an opening that raises questions, that holds your attention.

      Delete
  10. I love this author and have read all her books so far (including this one) and you're right it is a much faster paced book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you've read all her books!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig