Tuesday, 15 March 2016

25 Bookish Facts About Me


I've been seeing this feature of bookish facts going around the book community on YouTube of late and thought it'd be fun to bring it here on Reading With Jade.
 
One | I have a reading comfort zone, but I do try to read a wide variety of fiction.

Two | My comfort zone consists largely of 'darker' reads - crime, thrillers, ghost stories etc.

Three | I prefer paperbacks over hardbacks.

Four | I really don't like dust jackets. If I'm reading a hardback with a dust jacket, that'll be coming off because I just can't read with them on.

Five | Whilst I don't care one bit if I break the spine of a book, I'm really not keen on writing in books.

Six | My most owned author is Roald Dahl, closely followed by Cecelia Ahern.

Seven | I tend to read in the evening, and probably do most of my reading in the bath... I realise that sounds a tad weird, but I think it's pretty common.

Eight | I do not own any signed editions, nor do I have any desire to. I understand why signed editions are popular and much loved by their owners, but for me, having the signature of said author on the book doesn't increase the value of that book in my mind.

Nine | I'm a big re-reader.

Ten | Following on from that, I only keep books that I see myself re-reading one day.

Eleven | I have a whole shelf of books from my own collection that I'm keeping to share with my son when he is older.

Twelve | As of this year, 2016, I've started getting in to audiobooks.

Thirteen | Although I listen to audiobooks, and own an e-reader, my preferred way to read is with a physical book.

Fourteen | You know what I miss - mobile libraries. Were those a thing where you live? The mobile library was a huge part of my childhood.

Fifteen | Reading with my son is one of my favourite things to do.

Sixteen | I'm one of those people who refuses to pick a favourite author.

Seventeen | If I had to, I could pick a favourite character though - Sherlock Holmes.

Eighteen | My all time favourite series is Harry Potter - hands down. However, I have no interest in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Nineteen | I have a terrible memory, and it is that that first spawned me joining the book blogging community. I love sharing about what I've read, and discovering new to me bloggers and authors, but the reviews are quite important for me when it comes to looking back.

Twenty | Book to movie adaptations always make me a little nervous to watch, especially if I loved the book. As of right now, Still Alice is my favourite book to movie adaptation.

Twenty One | Coincidently, a lot of my favourite films seem to have been adapted from books, but in those cases I've seen the film first before reading the book. I have this notion that I'd like to read all the books they've been adapted from one day, but I don't actually think I will. I really dislike when the movie is better than the book... And being quite a visual person, if I see the film first, there's a high chance that'll be the case.

Twenty Two | I used to be a big library user... I've slowly gotten away from that - for a multitude of reasons - but I'm taking steps to return to my reading roots.

Twenty Three | The atmosphere felt when wandering a bookshop is pretty indescribable.  

Twenty Four | We all read for different reasons - reading for me would be considered 'escapism'. I love to be taken away by books and encounter people and places I perhaps otherwise wouldn't in my day to day life.
 
Twenty Five | Reading With Jade isn't my first book blog, but it is definitely my last - I feel very settled here with my little bookish community.
 
Speaking of community, I don't want this post to be just about me. You know I love comments, so be sure to share some bookish facts about you in the comments!!
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. That was a fun way to get to know you better. I agree with Still Alice, both book and movie adaptation was great. Silence of the Lambs is my favourite and since you are visual if you haven't watched it you must.

    I will give a couple bookish facts about me:

    1) I love my Kindle and do 99% of my reading on it

    2) My genre of choice is thrillers, suspense and crime

    3) This is my 6th year of book blogging and was on the fence for 1 1/2 years on giving it up, so glad I didn't

    4) I mainly read at night, in bed just before going to sleep but I always have my kindle on me just in case

    5) I am in a book club, just over a year. I hate the book choices but the love the ladies. I have to choose this year and decide is it worth it.

    Have a great week Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out Silence of the Lambs - I've heard of it, but never read nor watched it. Thanks for the rec.

      Thanks for sharing the facts about you, Marce!

      I like your choice of reading material!

      Six years of book blogging - go you! I think we all hit a fence at some point and ponder whether to continue or not. I think you made the right choice in continuing.

      Ahh, that's quite the conundrum with the book club!

      I hope you're having a wonderful week :-)

      Delete
  2. I love this! I enjoy the darker more suspenseful reads more these days, although I do like having some romance in them as well. Reading is definitely escapism for me. It's a way to relieve stress and my 'downtime'. I really don't think I could get through life without it!

    My favorite author hands down is Colleen Hoover. As many people know. :) Tarryn Fisher is a close second.

    I too have a horrible memory. I don't think my reviews would even help me remember books I've read. Lol. That's why it's hard for me to read an unfinished series.

    I have never read in the bath! I don't like taking baths, more of a shower person. But I have thought about listening to audio books while I get ready in the morning. I just think my 5 year old would distract me too much. Lol.

    I have a few signed books from some of my favorite authors. I've not purchased them myself, I've either won them or a friend has gotten them for me at an author signing (which I have yet to experience myself - bucket list!). I do cherish the signed books of my favorite authors - especially the ones I have signed by Colleen Hoover. :)

    This is really fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm with on that one Brandie; I couldn't imagine life without reading being a part of it.

      Colleen Hoover, your fave author? Never! :-P I still need to check out her work!!

      I'd opt for a bath over a shower any day. Relaxing in a bubble bath with my book - that's my ultimate downtime!

      I totally see why signed books are so cherished, especially when the book is that of an all time favourite author. I hope you get to attend a book signing at some point in the future.

      Thanks for sharing too - I enjoyed reading your facts :-)

      Delete
  3. I also only keep books that I plan on rereading. If I didn’t love a book enough to reread it, it goes to the used bookstore.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great facts! We have quite a bit in common bookishly. I definitely prefer paperbacks and hate dust covers. I reread though haven't done as much as I'd like in awhile and the idea of writing in a book makes me cringe though I don't mind a broken spine.
    In general I don't care anything about a signed copy but I do have a few that I treasure more because of the experience of meeting the author than anything else. I have found that reviews really help a book stay in my head for longer. With all the countless books, plots, and characters sometimes they start to run together but if it's something I've reviewed it's a little clearer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do sound like we have a fair few bookish things in common!

      I haven't re-read for quite some time now. I'm taking part in a re-reading event this coming week though and I'm really looking forward to delving in to some old favourites.

      It must be fun meeting an author whose work you enjoy - I've never met an author, and given my location, that's unlikely to happen, but I do love hearing about the experiences of others!

      Yes - your last sentence is exactly why I review.

      Thanks for sharing a little bit about you, Katherine :-)

      Delete
  5. This is a fun idea for a post! It is nice to get to know people through their bookish loves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is - I'd love to see it on more blogs!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig