Thursday, 10 March 2016

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts | 005


One | I've decided to try and learn a language - Welsh. If you didn't already know, I'm a Londoner who has settled down in Wales (South Wales to be specific). English is widely spoken here in Wales, but Welsh is used in a variety of ways. I feel like having a basic grasp of the Welsh language would be a great ability to possess now that Wales is my home. I haven't learnt a language in over 10 years, and I've certainly never self taught myself a language, so we'll see how this goes!
 
Two | Recently I devised a new system in which to keep check of my book wishlist. I know we all have preferred ways to do things, but when it comes to lists I'm very much a pen and paper kind of person. Previously I had always just noted down books that were of interest to me and that was that. Every now and then I'd refer to the list when buying books but that was about as much use as it got. I felt like it needed a little more purpose. The new system that I've devised means that at a glance I can see all the books on my wishlist, know whether they're available to borrow from my local library, and see as and when I've read a book from the list. Devising the new system was fun, but also beneficial because I decreased the amount of books on my wishlist.
 
Three | I've been giving my wardrobe a bit of an update lately. I'm very much a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl nowadays, and with a minimal wardrobe things are bound to need an update every now and then. One area that needed some serious attention was my jeans. I purchased a couple of new pairs of jeans from GAP, and I'd forgotten how much I love them!

Four | Adult colouring books are still very much a 'thing' right now, and I'm one of the many who enjoy wiling away some time colouring. I have tasked myself with completing at least one full colouring book this year, because last year I bought quite a few and still have yet to complete one in its entirety. I've finished three new pictures recently and feel like I'm on my way to achieving that goal.

Five | Although we don't own a TV, overall we're big film watchers in the our household. Lately we've been watching Up and Cinderella quite regularly - those are two of my favourite films, and despite having quite a large DVD collection, they also seem to be two films Alexander gravitates towards often. I don't know... I just love sharing favourites with my little one :-) And discovering what he does and doesn't like.

Six | If you're reading this post around the time of it be scheduled (Thursday afternoon), you'll find me and toddler at a new toddler group. Not your average toddler group however. We've finally got a slot in Chatterbox - a play group for children who have delays in speech. I mentioned previously about taking Alexander for a speech therapy assessment, and although he is behind in his speech, she didn't feel like he needed therapy at the time. The only reason we went for the speech therapy assessment was because it was taking quite a while to get a slot in Chatterbox - we approached our health visitor in November and just got the slot in March. That doesn't seem like that long of a time period, but when it's a matter of your child's speech and progress, it kind of is a long time. I understand there are limited resources; the above isn't me moaning, just explaining the route we've gone down. Hopefully the Chatterbox group is going to help out... Alexander is progressing with his speech daily, but is still considered as being very much behind.

Seven | On Saturday we did a trial run of the walk that we'll make each week to Chatterbox, and my gosh it is pretty exhausting! The walk itself isn't too long but it's full of hills which are never fun when pushing a toddler. I'm hoping it'll help me in my pursuit of getting fit. Haha!

Eight | It's kind of shameful to admit, but if you read my last Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts post you'll know I had some reviews I wanted to catch up on after reading but reviewing barely anything in Feb.  Well... I tried to write reviews, and I don't know if it's because so long had passed since the reading process, or if it was because I hadn't written a review in a good couple of weeks, or a combination of both, but the words just didn't flow like they used to. I attempted to write a couple of different reviews and each time I was met with the same issue, so I've just decided not to review those books. I didn't want my thoughts to be forced and not fully focused, so that seemed like the best idea.

I feel like I've been Chatty McChat Chat in today's post.
 
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I think it's great that you want to learn a new language! I would love to do that, but I know I don't have the patience.
    It's fun updating your wardrobe! I have recently done the same, and it makes picking an outfit out every morning a little more fun. I used to hate shopping for clothes, but lately I've started enjoying it more. I know that has everything to do with my weight loss journey and not being so embarrassed of myself anymore.
    I still haven't jumped on the coloring book train, yet. I feel like it would take away from my reading time, which is already too little as it is. I hate to start a new hobby that interferes with my reading goals. But I have many friends who love the coloring books and say it's a great stress reliever!
    I'm happy to hear you are going to the new toddler group today! I hope it goes well and you see it helping. As a mother, we only want to see our children excel and I know it's hard to sit back and have to wait this long to be added to that group! And as for the hills - ugh! I have been struggling with running hills lately, so I feel your pain. I know the more I run them, the better I would be at it, but I really don't like them. Lol.
    Cinderella is one of my all time favorite movies! I love that Sunnie watches it.
    I get in those reviewing funks quite a lot, and skip reviewing many books. Sometimes it's just necessary, and it's okay! I just skipped reviewing a few books recently because I wasn't feeling it. That's the beauty of having a blog - we can do whatever we want. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you're enjoying your wardrobe now, Brandie, and feeling much more confident in yourself!

      Oh, I totally get about other hobbies taking away from reading time. I'm forever trying to find a balance between reading and other activities I enjoy it, but colouring is a great stress reliever - as you've heard.

      Well, regarding the group, I trekked those two monstrous hills, only to be told that the group wasn't on today!! The shutters were unable to open on the building. That was kind of annoying, but I think good things will come from the group. And giving those hills a walk! It seems like you're doing really well with your running, and have progressed wonderfully, so never mind those hills. Haha!!

      That's so true - we can do what we want!

      I hope you've had a wonderful weekend :-)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, you just need to let a review go. I find it easier to do these days since I read more than I could realistically review anyway.

    So glad to hear about Chatterbox -- I hope it helps your son -- I hope your first one goes well!

    Oh, and I hear you on the pen and paper thing. Though digital can be easier, there are a lot of things I still prefer to physically write down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Christine. I try to review all the books I read because I have a terrible memory and so it's nice to look back on them, but I know I don't need to review them all. It totally makes sense why you don't review all that you read.

      Thank you - the first one was actually cancelled unfortunately, but I do think the group will help in general.

      Yes!! Digital is pretty much taking over, and whilst I am trying to reduce my paper bits and bobs, some things I just have to write down.

      I hope you've had a wonderful weekend :-)

      Delete
  3. My son and DIL live in Prague, where they lived for several years from the 1990s. For a while, they left and lived in Berlin for several years. They don't have a TV either, but watch movies on their computer. In fact, when they visited me here this summer, they had some movies that I had never seen yet, which came out later on here.

    I can't write a good review unless I do so immediately after finishing the book...that's how it is for me.

    Enjoy your week...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your son and DIL have travelled a little - that must be nice, I'm sure they have some great stories! Not having a TV is so much easier! It's interesting how things are released differently in different places.

      I've learnt I'm very much the same in terms of reviewing, and am definitely going to try and keep on top of reviewing after having read now... I just need to finish a book! It's been a while since I've done that!!

      I hope you've had a wonderful weekend :-)

      Delete
  4. BG loves Cinderella too! She goes around singing "Cinderelly, Cinderelly" all day long.

    I hope Chatterbox is going well for you and Alexander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - too cute!! Thank you!

      I hope you've had a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy colouring, too! My problem is that while I have colouring books, I always seem to colour pages off the internet. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are just so many great images to get stuck in colouring!

      I hope you've had a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  6. Oh, these sound wonderful. My colouring book has got loads, and loads of cat. You reminded me to go back to it. :)

    You have also inspired me to work on my books-wishlist. It's haywire at the moment. I am going to spend a weekend to do that. Thank you. You have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy returning to your colouring book.

      As book lovers, and even more as book bloggers, our wish list so easily gets out of control! It takes a while to really weed through it and get a system in place that works for you, but it's well worth the task. Good luck!!

      I hope you've had a wonderful weekend :-)

      Delete
  7. I just bought my first adult coloring book last weekend. I don't think I'll ever get all the way through it, so I applaud your goal. I am really enjoying it - more than I thought I would! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I'd enjoy colouring as much as I do - it's a surprisingly pleasant way to spend some time. Enjoy!!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig