Thursday, 17 March 2016

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts | 006


One | On Monday evening I just had this urge to reorganise my bookshelves. I don't really know where it came from there and then, but for a while I've been feeling uninspired by my shelves. I don't know about you, but for me, my bookshelves are so much more than a place to house my books. I can't really put it in to words properly, but I do think my shelves have played a part in my lack of enthusiasm when it comes to reading of late. My organisation is still following the same general principle, but I'd say they're more visually pleasing now.
 
Two | This month with my Audible credit I actually stepped away from the Harry Potter series and purchased the first in the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. The series was recommended to me twice when I asked for audiobook recs recently, and I've been wanting to give James Patterson's writing a go for the longest time. So far I'm really enjoying it, and I'll definitely continue with the series.
 
Three | Other than the above mentioned audiobook, I haven't purchased a book for myself in over a month. That doesn't seem like a long time, but for me, that's pretty good going. I'm currently working on not buying books every month - something that's been a bit of a habit for a while now - as well as make better use of my local library. Currently only the first of those two aims is being worked on because before I start borrowing from the library again I want to make more of a dent in my own unread books.
 
Four | Although I haven't been purchasing books for my own collection, Alexander's book collection has grown a little. Thomas the Tank Engine is one of his new favourite things and so a number of those books have made their way in to the house. Alexander absolutely loves them - they've been well read already!
 
Five | This week I've tasked myself with completing The Chronicles of Narnia series. At the start of the week I had read four of the seven books... But I felt like I was lagging with the series as I wasn't reading it as a primary book and sometimes taking a week or so to read a book that is typically less than 200 pages. I'm not the fastest of readers, but that's slow going even for me. By making the series my focus this week I'm hoping for my travels in Narnia to be completed before the week is out.
 
Six | Whether I'm able to finish the entire Narnia series before the week is finished or not, I'll be starting the coming week with a fresh book. Monday 21st marks the first day of the Re-Readathon and so I'll be delving in to one of the three books I've picked to give a re-read.. As of right now, I'm thinking of starting with Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult, but we'll see how I feel come Monday.
 
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. We loved Thomas the Tank Engine here too though we didn't have too many of the books. It's so easy to buy kids books! I've had to put the brakes on that because his shelves were getting as bad as mine and we use the library so much there was really no need to buy so many. I read the Chronicles of Narnia a few years ago and really enjoyed them. The last book was my least favorite but the rest of the stories were wonderful. Enjoy all your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas seems to be much loved by many!

      I've kind of gotten out of the habit of using the library lately because I'm trying to work through my own TBR. I'm hoping we get back in to it soon which will mean more children's books being borrowed too, for sure.

      I've enjoyed my travels through Narnia so far - I'm currently part way through book number 6.

      I hope you've had a wonderful weekend :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you are enjoying the James Patterson book! They are great on audio.
    I have never read the Narnia books. I know, it's shameful.
    Sometimes a good bit of organization helps clear the mind! I find myself doing that every few months. My bookshelves actually need another round of organizing soon.
    It's so easy to buy books for our children. I'd buy Sunnie every book she wanted if I had the money. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have gotten in to his writing now. I actually realised the other day that my partner has the beginning of a YA series by him on our bookshelves, so I'll be checking that out at some point too.

      Oh, I know that feeling! I feel like my bookshelves are always a work in progress. I hope you enjoy your shuffle around when it comes to giving your books a little organisation.

      Haha - me too!

      Delete
  3. It's good to mix up the audiobooks sometimes. And I hope you enjoy the rest of Narnia -- that series is definitely till on my TBR since I only read one of them. I do love how if I set my mind to it, I can read those shorter books in a shorter span of time if I really want to and I'm sure you'll make good headway, even if you don't completely finish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll love the Narnia series when you're able to immerse yourself in it fully - many adventures to be had!

      That's so true. Although I have yet to finish the series, I've definitely made a lot of headway with progressing with the series since I tasked myself too.

      I hope you've had a wonderful weekend :-)

      Delete
  4. I intend to read 'Plain Truth' soon. And, I am also participating in the #Rereadathon. It's one of the best events ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my first time participating, but I'm really looking forward to the Rereadathon!

      Delete
  5. Hooray for Narnia! They are books that you can read in an afternoon if you have a big block of time and just completely escape into the world. Hope you were able to finish your goal, or will soon. Narnia is home away home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love escaping into a fantastical world?!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig