Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Reread Thoughts | Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

 
Note | This is not a review, this is a few jotted thoughts.
 
I own a fair few Jodi Picoult novels, and of all of them, I don't ever recall rereading Plain Truth despite it being a favourite of her works. When I heard about the Re-Readathon, I knew a Jodi Picoult novel was sure to be on my TBR, and it just made sense to make it one of her books I had yet to reread.
 
Going in to Plain Truth, I knew that the plot centred on an Amish girl accused of murdering her newborn baby, but I honestly didn't recall much more than that. You see, that's why I reread; I'm not so good on the finer details of plots. Whilst my thoughts were correct, that is the main focus of Plain Truth, there is a lot more going on than just an impending trial - although it is the upcoming trial that keeps you on tenterhooks paging turning. Having said that, it was the trial, well result of the trial, that bumped Plain Truth to a four star read, as opposed to a five, as I felt like there was a lot more that could have been done there regarding the outcome, especially after the build up. The overall ending of Plain Truth was perfectly executed however.
 
In typical Jodi Picoult fashion, Plain Truth is well researched and there is thorough detail placed in the focal subject - in this case, the Amish. When I first read Plain Truth, I knew very little about the Amish as there aren't any here in the UK, and it is actually this book that spawned an intrigue in the community. I remember spending so much time looking in to things regarding the Amish and watching documentaries too. I'm a very nosy person, and I'm always fascinated and keen to learn more when it comes to people living differently to the way in which I do. Not necessarily just religions, but if someone were to live in a different country, or to parent a different way etc.
 
As with many other well written realistic fiction novels, you easily put yourself in the place of many of the characters within Plain Truth, and find yourself on quite the rollercoaster ride.
 
Going in to the Re-Readathon, I knew Jodi Picoult would be a good shout, especially for the first book from my TBR, but I have learnt something from Plain Truth that I've suspected for while - I much prefer Jodi Picoult's earlier work that typically ends up in a courtroom scenario.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I haven't read any Jodi Picoult but I would like to. And I have to say I enjoy "a few jotted thoughts" more than a full on review most of the time anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a love/hate relationship with her books and pretty much gave up on them. I have heard Nineteen Minutes is amazing, so I will read that one at some point. Rereading isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig