Saturday, 23 April 2016

MY MASTER POST | Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon

It's here, it's here, it's read-a-thon day!! This will be my first time participating in Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon, and only my second time in a read-a-thon hosted by the book community. I don't know if I'm quite prepared for the undertaking of the event, but what I do know is that I'm super excited to finally be taking part after close to 4 years within the book community on different platforms.
 
I'm aiming to update here, and on Twitter, multiple times throughout the 24 hours, and so I thought it would be a good idea to have a master post in which I can share everything. Yesterday I shared my TBR for the read-a-thon, which you can find here, and this morning I've been productive prepping for the reading ahead of me. Laundry has been done, snacks have been purchased and prepped, loose ends have been tied up here on the blog and I even got out for a walk just so I don't get cabin fever as I'll be largely reading indoors.
 
Here in the UK, the read-a-thon officially kicks of at 1pm, so I have had all of the morning to get sorted, which I'm quite thankful for. I don't intend to read for the full 24 hours - I don't know about you, but I need to sleep - however I do hope to read as much as feasibly possible with the majority of my time being dedicated to reading. I don't have any goals in terms of hours read or amount of books read, I just hope to read and enjoy!
 
OPENING MEME
1. What part of the world are you reading from today?
UK - more specifically, South Wales.
 
2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Flawed by Cecelia Ahern. I've been saving it for the read-a-thon, and it's been hard to resist delving in!
 
3. Which snack are you most looking forward to? 
Erm... Anyway. Lol! Probably the stash of cereal bars I have... I know they aren't always the best for you, but I'm kind of a cereal addict.
 
4. Tell us something about yourself!
I'm rubbish when it comes to these kinds of questions. Hi, I'm Jade, 24 years old, mummy of a 2 year old, and very much a Disney addict. Hmm... Should I include a bookish something? I recently completed a book inventory on my collection and I own a total of 140 books.
 
5. If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
Reading good books and discovering new to me bloggers.

UPDATE ONE
It's closing in on 9pm here in the UK, so the read-a-thon has been going for nearly 8 hours now. Although I haven't read solidly for 8 hours, I've made great progress in the time period having completed my first book of the event - Flawed by Cecelia Ahern. That's a total of 402 pages read.

I know reading is a different experience for everyone, but for me reading is an activity that makes me sleepy, and for this reason I tend to read in shorter bursts. I thought this might hinder my progress in the read-a-thon but so far it seems to have been quite helpful.

I don't intend to leave the night having only read the one book, and after writing this update I'll be jumping in to the second book on my TBR. Many people are committing to the read-a-thon wholeheartedly with talks of all nighters and such - that isn't for me, I'm getting a solid block of sleep tonight.

Also, I expected to be updating this post more than I have done, although I've been a little more regular with the updates on Twitter.

I have not taken part in any mini challenges as of yet, but I'm not likely to either - I knew this going in to the read-a-thon.

WRAP UP
Unfortunately I haven't been able to write up my read-a-thon wrap up until now on Monday night. In my time zone the read-a-thon finished at 1pm, however I officially ended at 11.30am. I didn't read the entire night through or anything, and in total I read for roughly 7 of the 24 hours. In that time I finished 1 and a half books and am very happy with that outcome. I really enjoyed participating in the read-a-thon and definitely want to give it another go come October.
 
Wishing you all the best of luck with the read-a-thon - have fun being immersed in words and stories!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Hooray! I'm so glad you decided to participate in the readathon this time around. Hope you are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, Julie! I'm guessing it isn't easy with a newborn, but hopefully you're fitting in a little reading here and there :-)

      Delete
  2. All the different time zones make things interesting with the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book and a half is awesome! I've had conflicts for this readathon as well as any of the other 24- or 48-hour readathons so far this year -- I've really wanted to give a more "intense" readathon a try though -- here's hoping one later in the year works out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're able to fit an intense readathon in this year at some point, Christine - I know it's hard with a little one though.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig