Saturday, 9 April 2016

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis


The Chronicles of Narnia is a series of seven fantastical middle grade novels jam packed with adventure, friendship, imagination and a moral or two along the way.
With seven books, it's safe to say that there is a lot that goes in to the series as a whole, however the books are relatively short in length and you can easily get lost in Narnia for a couple of hours or so and finish one adventure in that time period.
I'm not intending to say too much about the individual books, but the overall plot of The Chronicles of Narnia follows the Pevensie's siblings (Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy) as they unwittingly find themselves in the fictional realm of Narnia and end up taking a focal role in the history of the land. It's worth mentioning that all four siblings do not feature in every book, and eventually they peter out and are replaced by a couple of other children. Going in to the series I knew this, and thought perhaps it would disturb the reading experience in a way, but I didn't find that to be the case.
The world of Narnia, and surrounding lands, are well developed with quite a depth and history to it - the history of Narnia spans the entire length of the series, from creation and onwards. Narnia is quite a whimsical land, if there ever was one, with magic ever present and a vast population of talking beasts. The adventures that take place within Narnia are fun and action packed, with never a dull moment to be had.
Although the adventures hook you in to the reading experience, I'd say the narrator of the series is what draws you in initially. The narrator is the kind that includes you as a reader, checking in with you along the way, making the reading experience feel intimate in a way - a one on one story time perhaps. The narrator is also pretty witty with the story telling and I always appreciate that in a book.

The Chronicles of Narnia are known as being Christian novels, however whilst reading I didn't look in to those aspects too much as I'm not a religious person. The themes are there, prominent in more places than others, however if like me you aren't religious, I would recommend delving in to the series regardless as a great tale has been laid out within these pages.
Most known for being children's books, I'd say The Chronicles of Narnia is a series that can be enjoyed by all and I'm sure I'll make many a trip back to Narnia in the future - by myself, and with my son when he is a little older.
ORDER IN WHICH I READ THE BOOKS
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. One of these days...I will get back to this series! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I overlooked reading this series for so long - I'd always wanted to give it a read, but other things came first - but I'm so happy to have discovered the treasure that is Narnia. You won't be disappointed when you do get round to reading it!

      Delete
  2. I've never read the Narnia books, but so many love them! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now understand why they are so loved!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig