Friday, 24 June 2016

BOOK TALK | Wishlist Organisation


A couple of weeks ago now I shared a post discussing the use of the term TBR and gathering thoughts on how others keep check of their TBR. I enjoyed all the conversation that came from that post, but specifically I enjoyed hearing about the organisation systems that other bloggers used for their own TBR's; this got me thinking about how we organise our wishlist books. Today I'm going to be sharing how I organise my wishlist, and hopefully I'll hear from you in the comments below.

Prior to earlier this year, I didn't really have a system in place to organise the books I wished for - I was very much somebody who jotted books down here and there and had far too many loose pieces of paper. I decided to get my act together and put a system in place when I realised I wanted to make better use of my local library once I'd worked through my own books. Whilst I very much enjoy a wander in the library, picking up books on a whim, there are times when I'd like to reserve them online and just going to pick them up. I wasn't able to easily seek out the titles however as I had papers all over the show.

The system I have devised is super simple, but super effective - exactly what I was looking for!


Title + author name is written on the left hand side. To the right hand side there are three columns - B meaning 'Buy', L meaning 'Library' and N/A meaning I've read it, I've shelved it, or I no longer wish to read it. L gets a tick if I know my library holds it, and another tick when I've borrowed and completed. B will only have a tick in the box as and when I have purchased a book.

I took an unused A5 notebook and created a table system that allows me to see my wishlist at a glance, but not only that, whether my local library carries said book. Being able to see whether my local library holds certain titles in stock has really helped to cut down on the number of books I'm buying, as I'd rather borrow than buy. If I love a library book enough I will ultimately add it to my own collection, but prioritising borrowing over buying not only helps support our library system but it is also great for my bank!

Keeping a paper and pen wishlist system has also helped me to keep down the number of books I add to my wishlist - I can't just jot down a title in my phone, I have to specifically write it in the notebook and for a multitude of reasons that isn't always possible, and so I've found since keeping this system the number of books on my wishlist has grown at a slow but steady rate, as opposed to multiple books being added a day.

How do you organise your wishlist?
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Great idea! I can definitely see how this could keep the wishlist in check -- if you need to take the time to write it out, you will make sure you REALLY want it on our wishlist. I get very "click-happy" on Goodreads the way I currently do things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've been click happy before too - it's so easy to do that (that's one of the reasons I don't really use Netgalley anymore).

      I think it would be helpful to have my wishlist on Goodreads, and I know that method is used by many, but I find I use electronic systems a lot less than physical. Not only that, but I'm still such a newb when it comes to Goodreads!

      Delete
  2. This is genius! I myself add books to my TBR on Goodreads and keep track of them that way, but I'm up to around 500 books on my TBR, and although I've recently begun to sort books into "to check out" and "to buy", there's just so many! SO. MANY. BOOKS.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I definitely see the benefits to using Goodreads as a way to organise your TBR, especially with being able to make specific shelves such as you have begun to do.

      Haha! There are just so many new books to discover!

      Delete
    2. :-) Haha exactly! Also, there is a way you can combine shelves, to see if (for example) I have any books that are at my library that I need to read for a specific challenge. Quite handy. :-) Of course!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great system and that it's really working for you. I like keeping lists with pen and paper too. For my books though, I've created a wishlist shelf on GR. It's simple but I love how easy it is to keep track of. And when I acquire the book, then I just move it off the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken me quite a while to find an organisation method that works for me, but I'm so happy with this way! I'm very much a pen and paper girl!

      Just as my method is working for me, it sounds like Goodreads is the perfect way to keep track of your books too. If I used Goodreads a little more than I do, I think I would probably being using that favoured method also. I'm still very much in the early stages of exploring Goodreads, despite my many years on and off as a book blogger!!

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I use the TBR shelf on Goodreads myself, but I feel like the written way is actually more organised and easier to keep track of, especially when you have a lot of books on that shelf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping check of books you hope to read on Goodreads definitely seems like the favoured option - and I can totally see why! I've found that having titles written down helps me more with reserving books at the library, and with keeping my wishlist manageable.

      Thanks for sharing :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow I love your organization! All I do is keep a "wishlist" shelf on goodreads!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig