Wednesday, 3 August 2016

ONE YEAR ON | Five Reasons I Book Blog


Today marks my one year anniversary blogging about books on Reading With Jade.

I've been book blogging, on and off, for a lot longer than one year (roughly three or four), but I feel like I've really found my feet with my blog this time round, and I see quite the future ahead of us.

I'm not one for long, well worded, posts or speeches, so I thought to celebrate my first full year blogging here on Reading With Jade, I'd share five reasons why I love to blog about books.

ONE | The Community
Having been in and out of the book community for a good few years now, I've seen the book blogging community evolve and, for the most part, remain a welcoming and wonderful bunch of people. In particular, the little community I have here on Reading With Jade makes me very happy. A number of my readers are those who I've known since my very early days as a book blogger, and it has been amazing to see how not only their blogs have developed, but how the people behind the blogs have evolved in their personal lives too. I only have a small readership here on my blog, but I'd much rather that readership and the interaction than 100's of readers daily.

TWO | Talking About Books
In my personal life, I could count on one hand the number of people I can sit and chat about books with... And even those people don't entirely read on the same scale as I do. Connecting with like minded people within the book blog community is an amazing feeling, chatting back and forth with those who have similar genre interests, and discussing interesting topics that only really us bookworms care about. Book blogging has also helped open me up to variety - since getting in to book blogging again I've realised that it doesn't matter what I'm reading, so long as I'm enjoying it. Yes, a non book blogging person may judge me, as an adult, for reading a book that is aimed at a middle grade child, but I, as a reader, now no longer care! A story is a story at the end of the day.

THREE | In The Loop
Prior to re-entering the book blogging community, I hadn't quite realised just how out of the loop I really was. By no means am I one of those book bloggers who is up to date on all things bookish - I truly admire those bloggers - but I did miss knowing when certain books were going to be released, and when book to movie adaptations were coming out, and what books were getting a lot of hype at a given time... Because I feel like the book community is very different to general media publications in the sense that it is further ahead with some information, the opinions feel a lot more personable, and often times the two even differ in what is 'big news' at any given time. I'm very glad to be back in the bookish fold!

FOUR | Pushes Me Beyond My Comfort Zone
There are two ways in which being a book blogger pushes me beyond my comfort zone. The first being opening my eyes to books that I otherwise wouldn't have thought to pick up for myself - I've found a number of wonderful books and new favourite authors thanks to the book community. The second way in which being a book blogger pushes me out of my comfort zone is in the interacting. Naturally, in any type of blogging, being an interactive member of the community is essential, but as someone with social anxiety, interaction doesn't come easy to me. Of course there is a huge difference between interacting in real life, and that of over the internet, but I feel that forming connections here has really helped me to push myself outside of the community, and that is a truly great thing.

FIVE | It's Fun!!
Between meeting new people from all walks of life and corners of the world, to getting involved with bookish challenges and events, there really is something for everyone in the book blogging community, and no one could deny just how fun it is being a book blogger!

My first year on Reading With Jade has been really and truly wonderful, and that is largely thanks to my readers - so reader, yes you reading this, I just want to say a HUGE thank you!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Happy blogging anniversary!! I'm so glad you continue to post and love your blog. And I feel the same way about all of these reasons to blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Brandie :-) Not only for your kind words, but for your support through my blog adventures :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary! I love all your reasons for blogging and agree with every single one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogoversary. Such a nice post- and I also agree with all of that. The community is amazing and and also the connections and bookish chat- it's hard to find that in real life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Bookish chat is hard to come by often in every day life, and I find when it does come up it is very much small talk, not the in depth way we discuss books and all things bookish here in the community.

      Delete
  4. Happy blogiversary! I love this list and these are my favorite things about blogging too, especially #1. Not trying to knock the super popular bloggers which huge readerships, but I just wouldn't be able to keep up! I love that the smaller communities that we have within the larger community for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine!

      Yes!! I don't know how the popular bloggers do it to be honest - but kudos to them!

      Delete
  5. Happy Blogiversary!

    I have to agree with all of your points - especially about talking with books with people. Not many people I know read like I do. It is nice to have a community just for that purpose! I always enjoy your posts - you have great insights! Looking forward to seeing what the next year brings you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin :-)

      It feels great to have a community just to natter about books - it is much loved and appreciated by so many of us!! Ah, thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary! I agree that one of the best things about this community is the chance to blabber on about books as much as we want. I don't think anyone I know in real life would stand to listen to me talk about books as much as I want to talk about books. Hooray for this community, where that's not only acceptable - it's encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      That's so true, Julie - I love how much emphasis and encouragement is put on reading here.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig