Saturday, 15 October 2016

BOOK TALK | Classics To Read This Autumn/Winter


For me, autumn and winter is the time of year when I love to cosy down with a good book and get lost in realms I otherwise can't - I'm very much an escapist reader, but more so during these colder days and longer nights.

Once upon a time the books I'd escape to were classics... Although not always happy stories, escaping for me is very much about experiencing something I otherwise can't, which is easily done when delving into a work of classic literature. Today I wanted to share five books I'd happily escape into this A/W season, as well as share a little community feedback I received when posing a question on Twitter.

FIVE CLASSICS TO READ THIS A/W
| JANE EYRE |
The story of Jane Eyre is quite widely known nowadays. With an understandable large focus on the life of Jane Eyre, there are many themes that run through this book, with the love story of Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester being a prominent one. The reason I include Jane Eyre on my list is because it's a Victorian gothic classic, and those are the very best kind to read on these darker days. Jane Eyre is some what of a chunkster (anything over 300 pages is chunky to me!), which is another great thing for autumnal reading.

'You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.' - C. S. Lewis
(This quote very much screams me during the A/W season)

| THE STRANGE CASE OF DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE |
It's fair to say that most people have an awareness of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, with the story having been recreated in various other formats, however if you haven't read the original then I recommend you do this season - a perfect Halloween read. The themes are dark, and at the time of publishing, the story quite a shocking one. The story itself is relatively short; with the well crafted characters and a horror of a plot, there really is no reason not to pick this title up.

| REBECCA |
Daphne du Maurier has a number of published works, but it is without a doubt that the story, Rebecca, is her most notable work. The story also possesses one of the most well known  first lines in literature - 'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.'

Much like Jane Eyre, there is a romance that features heavily in the plot of Rebecca, but the story is so much more than that. Atmospheric and suspenseful, Rebecca is another gothic classic that you need to read.

| SHERLOCK HOLMES |
I love a good mystery read, that is quite well known, and one of my all time favourite genres is crime fiction, with the sub genre being detective novels. I love detective novels, and they make perfect 'cosy down with a book and tea' reads. There are many fictional detectives out there, but of course Sherlock Holmes is one of the most popular in written word. The stories themselves are the perfect length, with a vast number to choose from, and the dynamic of Holmes and Watson being so readable. I really like the unique way in which Holmes solves cases; I like the detail in the detail.

| A CHRISTMAS CAROL |
The last book on my list of five is very much one for the winter season, as opposed to autumn. A Christmas Carol is an iconic story by Charles Dickens, and one I try to return to every year on Christmas Eve.

A Christmas Carol isn't your traditional Christmas story, but after some spooky goings on and lessons learnt, there is a happy ending to be enjoyed.
-------
Although I greatly enjoy classic literature, I am no expert and I have not read all the books, and that's why I took to Twitter to find out what classics others within the community would recommend this A/W season.

Louise Marie from the blog A Novel Haul recommended the Bronte sisters as perfect drizzle reads, especially Wuthering Heights, a title I'm actually intimidated by myself.
TWITTER | @ANovelHaul

Philippa of The Little Book Owl also shared the Bronte sisters as A/W reading material, as well as including North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.
TWITTER | @philippamary_94

Chantal from the mummy / lifestyle blog Milk and Nappies shared Little Women by Louisa May Alcott as a classic she'd recommend, and I quite agree with her!
TWITTER | @milkandnappies

Marsha from The Belle of the Book also recommends Wuthering Heights as a book to read this A/W season, which pretty much solidifies it as a must read!
TWITTER | @belleofbook

Christine of Buckling Bookshelves shared that she'd like to pick up some Sherlock Holmes books this autumn season, as it seems the right time of year to, and as you can see above, I quite agree!
TWITTER | @bucklingbkshelf

WHAT CLASSIC TITLES DO YOU LIKE TO PICK UP DURING THE A/W SEASON?

CONNECT WITH ME | | GOODREADS | TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN' |
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. In an attempt to read more classics, I joined serial reader. It's a great app where you read a chapter or day or so. My issue is that it told me I would get notifications when new issues were out each day... And I don't. So, guess who forgets about it and now is way behind. lol I like the idea, but I need the notifications with everything else happening in my day. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about this app through another blogger, and I'm really intrigued by the idea of it. Shame about there not being notifications though, seems a bit of a flaw! I hope it helps you to read more classics!

      Delete
  2. This year I haven’t read as many classics as I usually do. I have been trying to read classic horror, though. I read The Exorcist last month, and I want to read IT soon.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... Classic horror sounds like fun to explore. Well, maybe not 'fun', but y'know what I mean!

      Delete
  3. I still need to start! The collected Sherlock novellas has migrated to my nightstand, so maybe soon? I'm going to try to read in order, not that it's strictly necessary :) Thanks for the shout out and all these great recommendations -- I've already read Jekyll & Hyde, but your other picks are all in my TBR and do sound perfect for this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well the fact that they're on your nightstand shows intention and a want to read them. I read the stories in order also, but like you say, it isn't necessary. I hope you enjoy Sherlock and his adventures!

      Delete
  4. Wuthering Heights, definitely. One of the few classics I get a strong desire to re-read (which makes me feel guilty, because I do really prefer Anne).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the Bronte sisters work, I've only actually read Jane Eyre, but I'm keen to read more of their stories as a whole. I admit, I am a little intimidated by Wuthering Heights though! Thanks for sharing :-)

      Delete
  5. Rebecca has been on my radar for awhile. I should give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Gothic classic literature is perfect for this time of year!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig