Thursday, 20 October 2016

BOOK TALK | To Read, Or Not To Read: Wuthering Heights


Wuthering Heights and I have a bit of a history... Not the kind of history where I read it a good many years ago, fell in love with the story, and have revisited it time and time again; not the good kind of history. Of all the books on my unread shelf, Wuthering Heights has sat there the longest... For the most part, literally collecting dust. And yet, I can't seem to part with it.

As many of you may know, I enjoy classic literature, and have read a good many titles in the seven or so years in which I've really gotten into it. One of the books I find most recommended to me is Wuthering Heights. However, if you were to ask me what title intimidates me the most, I would answer Wuthering Heights.

To be honest though, I don't entirely know what I'm intimidated by. I have never gotten further than reading the first page of the book, so I don't even really know what is in store for me, other than the brief premise of the book I know. So, what's so intimidating about it?!

Very recently, I rescued Wuthering Heights from my donation pile. For weeks I was set on ridding myself of the copy I own, the book had been in my book donation bag for some time, and yet when it came to actually donating the book, I saved it the day before they were due to be picked up.

I think the fact that the title was recommended as a classic to read this A/W kind of aided in my rescue mission, if I'm being honest. But now I'm questioning whether I made the right decision or not.

I don't really know where I was going with this post, other than to ramble about Wuthering Heights - a book I still have not read yet despite owning my edition for four years.

DO YOU HAVE A BOOK YOU'RE INTIMIDATED BY? OR A BOOK YOU JUST CAN'T PART WITH?

CONNECT WITH ME | | GOODREADS | TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN' |
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I'm intimidated by all classics, honestly. I have tried some and can never stick with them long enough to finish. They are just too boring for my tastes. A book like that will take me forever to finish, and the whole time I'm thinking about all the other books I could've been reading and enjoying.
    I want to be someone who enjoys classics. I keep thinking some day I'll 'grow up' and it'll just hit me. lol. I have a few on my bookshelf at home that I refuse to part with in hopes that I will get the urge some day. Little Women, Jane Eyre, and To Kill a Mockingbird are the ones I own. If not, maybe Sunnie will need them for English class in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get where you're coming from regarding finding classics boring... Obviously, I don't find them boring, but I know they don't have a place in everyone's choice of reading material. I do think classics are the kind of thing where you have to find the right one for you, y'know. The term classics is quite broad, when there are a number of genres within that field.

      Haha! I like that - 'some day I'll grow up'. I think it's good that you keep the ones you own as you may feel the urge to just pick one up one day. I actually got into classics by reading children's classics, and continued from there. I know they aren't for everyone though. And I definitely know the feeling of being intimidated by them! Thanks for sharing :-)

      Delete
  2. I actually tried to do this on the Serial app that everyone is buzzing about, but I keep forgetting about it. lol So, clearly will stay unread for the time being...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I've heard good things about the Serial app. But I suppose, much like reading in general, it's the kind of thing you have to build in to a habit of.

      Delete
  3. I say keep it! For one, it's a beautiful copy. And for two, if you've had it that long, I think there is definitely a part of you that really does want to read it someday. And since you already are into classics, it might not be a huge leap when you are ready for it. If it wasn't a classic, I'd probably say let it go, but classics seem different to me. I have a lot of unread classics (my aspirational shelves, I suppose?), but they just seem different than other unread books. Of course, I'd like to work my way through them, but it does take a bit more of a concentrated effort and commitment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get what you mean about letting it go if it wasn't a classic... I feel like perhaps there will come a time in my life when I really want to give it a read, and be happy I kept this edition all these years. Thanks for sharing your input - I think I'm going to keep hold of it a little longer!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig