Thursday, 27 October 2016

MINI BOOK REVIEW | Slade House by David Mitchell


BLURB
Keep your eyes peeled for a small black iron door.

Down the road from a working-class British pub, along the brick wall of a narrow alley, if the conditions are exactly right, you’ll find the entrance to Slade House. A stranger will greet you by name and invite you inside. At first, you won’t want to leave. Later, you’ll find that you can’t. Every nine years, the house’s residents — an odd brother and sister — extend a unique invitation to someone who’s different or lonely: a precocious teenager, a recently divorced policeman, a shy college student. But what really goes on inside Slade House? For those who find out, it’s already too late...

Spanning five decades, from the last days of the 1970s to the present, leaping genres, and barreling toward an astonishing conclusion, this intricately woven novel will pull you into a reality-warping new vision of the haunted house story—as only David Mitchell could imagine it.

MY THOUGHTS
I've heard some mixed things regarding David Mitchell's writing, and knew he was an author I was keen to experience for myself. I wasn't entirely sure where to start - Cloud Atlas is far too intimidating, I had interest in The Bone Clocks, but then when I read the premise of Slade House I knew it would make great October reading, and I was right! I have since found out that The Bone Clocks and Slade House intertwine in a way, and for that reason I'm sure I'll check that title out at some point anyway.

Slade House is five stories that all connect through the presence of Slade House - a building that really and truthfully is a character in its own right. Slade House belongs to brother and sister, Norah and Jonah, who are essentially using the house as a life support machine. The siblings have paranormal abilities, and only those with similar abilities are able to identify and see the elusive Slade House - there is good reason for this though.

Within the paranormal communities there is much talk of Slade House and the strange goings on there, which is what leads a number of the 'guests' to the house in the first place. The five individual's whose stories we encounter within the book all have a distinct voice, are well developed and have their own reasons for being attracted to Slade House. Layers surrounding the house and its occupants, Norah and Jonah, are pulled away with each individual story and I really liked how that was written.

The way in which everything is weaved together in this book is amazingly well done, and I really enjoyed the conclusion.

I haven't alluded to much in this review as Slade House is the kind of book where the little you know, the better. You just need to read it for yourself. If you're looking for a quick read this Halloween, or the last Saturday of October (book reference), then I recommend checking out this title.

LINKS
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I had heard of this book but I knew absolutely nothing about it. Now I'm super intrigued! Adding to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Slade House - and would definitely recommend, Katherine!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't decide whether I loved Slade House but I definitely liked it and it was quite a memorable read. And that ending! Brilliantly done.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig