Tuesday, 25 October 2016

TUESDAY INTROS | The Loney

I'm reviving my participation in the First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros linky hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. I used to take part in this particular linky earlier on in the year, but then things got busy and my participation fizzled; but I'm back at it! The premise behind Tuesday Intros is to share the first paragraph or so of the book you're reading. I love the premise behind this linky as it's great for book recs, but you also get a feel for an author's writing style.



FIRST LINES
It had certainly been a wild end to the autumn. On the Heath a gale stripped the glorious blaze of colour from Kenwood to Parliament Hill in a matter of hours, leaving several old oaks and beeches dead. Mist and silence followed and then, after a few days, there was only the smell of rotting and bonfires.
I spent so long there with my notebook one afternoon noting down all that had fallen that I missed my session with Doctor Baxter. He told me not to worry. About the appointment or the trees. Both he and Nature would recover. Things were never as bad as they seemed.


WOULD YOU CONTINUE READING?
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. Sounds very atmospheric! I'd like to read more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the cover of this one...interesting start, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover draws your eye, despite it being quite bleak.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, this is new to me but, loved the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, i'm intringued. Good to see you back here, and cool montage! Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, and now I'm very curious. I can see and feel this place that has so captured the narrator. Enjoy!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is proof that I really need to read this book. I should move it up on the TBR list.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying the writing style so far :-)

      Delete
  7. The opening and cover definitely create a mood! I'm curious about why she has sessions with Dr. Baxter. Sounds like a good story.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog today, and welcome back to Tuesday Intros.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the narrator of the book; he does a good job of building the story whilst holding your attention.

      Delete
  8. I would need to read a bit more to see if I would continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that - whilst atmospheric, it isn't the greatest intro in terms of drawing the reader in.

      Delete
  9. I have been wanting to read this for ages so yes, yes, yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - you and me both, glad to have finally picked it up!

      Delete
  10. I like the voice of the opener - not overly dramatic and yet the promise of something... very good.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig