Thursday, 3 November 2016

WHAT I READ | October

TOTAL BOOKS READ - 8
TOTAL PAGES READ - 2051



This was a reread title for me; a ghost story I return to often. I thoroughly enjoy Susan Hill's writing and The Woman in Black is probably my most recommended ghost story. Check it out!


The first in a Swedish detective novel series, Roseanna introduces us to detective Martin Beck as he works on solving a case involving an unidentified woman's body that has shown up under suspicious circumstances. I quite enjoyed this read, and would continue with the series as a whole. I'm intrigued by the detective.



Enid Blyton's writing is somewhat quintessential childhood reading here in the UK, however as a child I never read any of her books - this was my first time experiencing her writing.

After their family move to the country, three siblings find The Enchanted Wood with The Faraway tree and adventures ensue. With peculiar characters living in the tree and a variety of revolving lands being reached by climbing to the top of the tree, imagination and creativity are poured into this book.

Having done some research since reading this title, it appears that the story has been edited since the original edition, with names changes for the children as well making it generally more policitally correct. I can't comment on these things as I never read the original, but I really would have liked to.

Overall, The Enchanted Wood is a fun, light, children's book and I look forward to reading more within The Faraway Tree series.

WHAT DID YOU READ IN OCTOBER?

CONNECT WITH ME | | GOODREADS | TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN' |
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Replies
    1. It was! Happy reading for November, Brandie!

      Delete
  2. I read 8 books in October, too. I didn’t get them all reviewed, though. Happy November!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great total - I don't tend to review all my books, but I like jotting down thoughts about all of them.

      Happy reading in November!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I have ever read Enid Blyton. Just one of those things. Should try her out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting about the changes to The Enchanted Wood! Someone recently commented on my banned books challenge about an Agatha Christie book that has a modernized edition -- food for thought for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that about Agatha Christie too, in regards to And Then There Were None. I don't know much about it though, just that I had heard that.

      Delete
    2. Really?! I had no idea - interesting, I'll have to look into that now!

      Delete
  5. I am going to have to look Enid Blyton up! That book looks adorable. I haven't read Susan Hill, she is going on my list now though. I saw the movie for Woman in Black and it was scary ~ and we all know books are better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enid Blyton's writing is full of imagination - and great for sharing with our little ones when they're older.

      The Woman in Black is super scary in film format; so jumpy! The book is subtle, but atmospheric!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig