Friday, 6 January 2017

BOOK TALK | Five Books I Hope To Read This Quarter


Being very much a mood reader, TBR's don't always work out for me... I love compiling them, but am terrible at completing them! This is a TBR of sorts, of course, however unlike a traditional monthly TBR, I have a longer period of time in which to get to these books. Five titles in three months is pretty reachable - I hope I'm reading a lot more than that in that time frame!

So, without further ado, here are five books I hope to read in the first quarter of the year.

Chances are, at the time of you reading this, I'll have finished reading Lyrebird and will be sharing my thoughts very soon, as I've picked Cecelia Ahern's latest release as my first book of the year. I love the premise of this title, the cover artwork is visually stunning, and I was lucky enough to get a signed edition!

SMALL GREAT THINGS BY JODI PICOULT
Once upon a time I read and devoured Jodi Picoult's novels as soon as they were released, however over the years I've found her style of story telling to have changed a little and I've not been that impressed with her novels... However, I have such high hopes for Small Great Things! Picoult's novels always have powerful plotlines with timely stories, and that is definitely the case with her newest title. Small Great Things also happens to be the January pick for a book club I take part in on Twitter (#BookClub140).

SWIMMING LESSONS BY CLAIRE FULLER
I was super excited when I got approved for Swimming Lessons on Netgalley! I'm going to be delving into my copy of the book very soon, and will hopefully have a review up in the next week or so. The book itself is published here in the UK at the end of January. I really enjoyed Our Endless Numbered Days by the author and am keen to see how her second novel pans out.

PUBLIC LIBRARY AND OTHER STORIES BY ALI SMITH
Ali Smith is an author I've been wanting to pick up for a while now... There has been a lot of positive talk about her writing, particularly in the UK blogging community, however I never really knew where to begin. A month or so ago now, when returning books for my son at the library, I spied 'Public Library' and made a mental note to look into the book a bit more as I wasn't able to borrow it there and then. At the end of last year, Lindsey of Literary Lindsey shared a mini review of the book and I knew I'd be borrowing it some time in the new year. I think a short story collection is a good way to go when exploring a new to you author also.

Lastly, I hope to start reading 'The Cousins' War' series by Philipa Gregory - an author I'm keen to discover for the first time this year. Although the first book published in this series was The White Queen, it is said that The Lady of the Rivers is the book to start with if you're wanting to read in chronological order. In instances like this, I tend to read in chronological order as opposed to publication order; I did the same thing when reading The Chronicles of Narnia for the first time.

ARE THERE ANY BOOKS YOU'RE KEEN TO READ IN THE FIRST QUARTER OF THE YEAR?
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Five books in three months sounds very doable. That's the way I should plan out my to-read lists, but I usually overplan and get stressed about it. I hope your plan works well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making my to read list manageable seems a good way to create, and keep, to them... I don't think I've yet completed a TBR list. Oops. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping to read Small Great Things soon, too. I'm not very familiar with Jodi Picoult, but that is one I have been wanting to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people are wanting to read Small Great Things at the moment - not only because there is a lot of buzz surrounding the book, but the plot is a very timely subject also. I hope you have a good reading experience, when you do get round to picking it up.

      Delete
  3. I hope you get a chance to read all these! I’m interested in Swimming Lessons, so I’d love to see your review of it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping to read Swimming Lessons after my current read, so it shouldn't be too long until a review.

      Delete
  4. A quarter seems like a very good time-frame for a TBR list like this, I also read a lot by mood and if I make a list, what I really want is to read all those books right then and there, but it doesn't exactly work that way. So then by the time I can get around to most of those books...I'm in the mood for something else -- haha! But maybe if I made things more realistic like this, it could work. Good luck and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I totally know that feeling! To date I have yet to complete a TBR list, so we'll see how this goes! This kind of TBR may just be the key to succeeding. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I used to really like Jodi Picoult, too, but I also agree that her storytelling style has changed. In 2014 or '15, The Storyteller by her was making the rounds and I took a chance on it. It was really good! I keep meaning to try something else by her to see if I am a fan again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also really enjoyed The Storyteller, but then her next novel, Leaving Time, I wasn't so keen on. I'm hoping my experience of Small Great Things proves to be similar to The Storyteller - there has been a lot of buzz surrounding this particular title.

      Delete
  6. Small Great Things sounds really good. I read my first Jodi Picoult book over the summer (Nineteen Minutes) and I Loved it to death. I really want to read more by her.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nineteen Minutes is one of my all time favourite Picoult novels - I see why enjoyed it so much!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig