Thursday, 5 January 2017

BOOK TALK | My Unread Shelf (2017)


Something I like to do at the start of each new year is take stock of the unread books still sitting on my bookshelves.

I have just the one shelf for unread books, and the reason being is that it helps me keep my unread books to a minimum - I do not put unread books in my actual book collection until I've read them. Although I have just the one shelf, I will say that I make good use of all that space on the shelf - I pretty much play tetris with my unread books!

This year, I'm going into 2017 with a total of 34 books on my unread shelf. In 2016, one of my goals was to end the year with just 15 books on my unread shelf, and whilst clearly that goal hasn't been achieved, I'm very happy with where I am with my unread shelf - I think it is manageable, with a variety of books to suit pretty much any mood of mine. I recently shared about how my perspective on books and reading has shifted over the past year or so, and in doing so, I see myself ending 2017 with a lot less than 34 books on my unread shelf.

MY UNREAD SHELF (2017)
Lyrebird by Cecelia Ahern (First Book of the Year)

In previous years whilst completing this inventory task I've left out books sitting on my Kindle, however this year I'm adding them in. They were left out before as I read so few ebooks in comparison to physical books, however I'm keen to make more use of my Kindle this year and there are a reasonable number of unread titles on there.

MY UNREAD KINDLE BOOKS (2017)

If you're keen on decreasing your own stack of unread books this year, then I'd highly recommend taking stock of the titles you have. One of the reasons I do this task routinely is to have a clear knowledge of exactly what I own, and from there being able to focus on a plan of action. In years prior, I have also decluttered my shelves at the same time, however I felt no need to do that this year.

Wishing you all a wonderful year of reading!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. It does help to take stock. And I read a lot more ebooks than I ever did. Good luck with your books this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always going back and forward with ebooks - I go through phases! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have a bit more than 34 unread books in my house. I took stock partway through last year and scared myself a bit. lol I just did a big purge to tidy up my shelves a bit and now I guess I should take stock again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It's good to have a purge of books every now and then. I hope you're able to enjoy a bunch of your unread books this year.

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea, I should really do it for my Kindle as I'm sure I have amazing titles and have forgotten I downloaded. I highly recommend Behind Closed Doors from your Kindle. I'm currently reading Small Great Things, very hard read but good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should - you may discover a hidden gem on your Kindle! I actually purchased Behind Closed Doors after reading your review of it - I'm hoping to get round to it soon.

      Delete
  4. I also keep my read and unread books separated. I currently have 42 unread books, and I’m doing the Mount TBR challenge to help me get through them. By the end of the year, I want to read at least 36 of them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't put them all together as I know many people do - I'd probably forget which ones I had and hadn't read!

      I think 42 is a manageable amount of unread books, and I'm sure you'll achieve the goal of reading 36 this year. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Once again, your unread shelf looks soooo manageable! I know you will do so well reading from your unread shelf this year. I'm going to work on it too, only difference is I am reading from my unread shelves as in many, many shelves -- haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I think you're going to do great with getting the books on your unread shelves down this year, Christine! It seems like you genuinely want to tackle them and that definitely helps in working through them.

      Delete
  6. I only wish my unread books were this many!! Lots of good titles for you to look forward to this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I've got a great number of titles I just want to jump right into.. But one at a time eh!

      Delete
  7. I've always wanted to read Philippa Gregory's books. I even own a couple, but haven't gotten around to them. I'm curious to hear your thoughts when you read them (since I'm sure you'll get to them before I will!). Best of luck with your TBR! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to share my thoughts here when I do get round to reading Philippa Gregory, which I hope will be very shortly!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I hope you reach your goal of ending the year with fewer TBR books than you started with. I will be happy if I can get the number down below 700 before the end of this year.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig