Monday, 2 January 2017

BOUT OF BOOKS 18 | Master Post


Today marks the first day of Bout of Books 18 - a week long read-a-thon here within the book community. There are a number of elements to Bout of Books, including competitions and prizes, however I usually just focus on the act of reading as much as possible (an interaction) within the week long time frame. This is my third time taking part in Bout of Books, having signed up for the first time during Bout of Books 16 and joining each one since.

My plans for updating during the read-a-thon are to update here and on Twitter, with more regular updates being on Twitter (@ReadingJade).

Regarding a TBR for the read-a-thon, I hope to finish reading Lyrebird by Cecelia Ahern, as well as finish a review book: Life in a Fishbowl, and maybe even pick up my January reread pick.

To anyone else taking part in Bout of Books - I wish you the best of luck, but most importantly, enjoy reading!

MONDAY
I'm kicking off the read-a-thon on page 210 of Lyrebird by Cecelia Ahern.

6.30pm - Finished reading Lyrebird. Whilst I enjoyed the story, I wasn't entirely blown away with the book like some other Ahern novels. I'll likely have a full review up next week.

10.00pm - Wrapping up the evening having finished my second book of the read-a-thon. I opted for Tuesdays with Morrie (my January reread), and at less than 200 pages, I devoured it in a 2 hour sitting. Although a melancholy read of sorts, there is a wealth of knowledge and positivity packed within the memoir and it's a title I recommend all read, at least just the once.

TUESDAY + WEDNESDAY
I started Tuesday thinking I'd move on over to my Kindle for reading, however by the time it came to me actually sitting down with a books it turns out I had other plans. I ended up delving into another reread - The Bookshop Book. I was looking for something to unwind with after a long day; you know one of those books you can just cosy down with for the evening, and my book choice was perfect. I read 70 pages before calling it a night.

Wednesday wasn't the best of reading days for me - the day itself was super long with a lot packed into it and I kind of just wanted to veg at the end of it. I managed to fit in reading an extra 40 pages of The Bookshop Book by Jen Campbell.

THURSDAY + FRIDAY
Over the past couple of days I've still just been reading The Bookshop Book, having finished it on Friday evening.

In total, I've now read 2 full books and completed the remainder of my first book of the year.

Remainder of Lyrebird: 206 pages
Tuesdays with Morrie: 209 pages
The Bookshop Book: 261 pages

Total pages read during Bout of Books so far: 646 pages.

My goal for the remainder of the read-a-thon is to finish reading a review book I have on my Kindle; I'm currently half way through it.

SATURDAY + SUNDAY
On Saturday I didn't get a single bit of reading done... This surprised me as Monday was my best reading day, thanks to my partner being at home and being able to entertain our son. Monday was a bank holiday here in the UK, and then on the weekend he doesn't work so I imagined those to be my most well read days. Ah well... I did give my books and book shelves a much needed dust down! It took me a good couple of hours - and I don't have that big of a book collection!

Sunday was a much better reading day. I finished my review book, that I mentioned above, as well as started a collection of short stories I'm currently reading.

Remainder of review book (Life in a Fishbowl): 162 pages
Short story: 29 pages

WRAP UP
I'm ending Bout of Books having read a total of 837 pages - that includes half of two separate books as well as two non fiction rereads.

However much you read during the read-a-thon, I hope you had a lot of fun!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Good luck and sorry to hear the first book you finished didn't quite live up to your expectations - better luck with the next one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy readathon- good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun and happy reading this week!! I have to skip this one, unfortunately. But I hope you have a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it's a shame you couldn't take part this time round, but there is always next time.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love Bout of Books! Good luck and enjoy your reading time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep meaning to read Lyrebird, but people have said the same as you have, so I keep putting it off. Maybe it is a book for Bout of Books 19!

    Good luck and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps - Lyrebird does make for easy, rapid reading.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Happy reading to you!! Good luck with your reading goals this round of BOB. I am having a blast so far and have just finished my first book around 2pm... It's wet and rainy where I live, which has made it easy to stay indoors and focus on reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wet and rainy, perfect reading weather! I hope you're having a great time taking part in Bout of Books!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig