Thursday, 16 February 2017

BOOK REVIEW | Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris


BLURB
Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?

And why are there bars on one of the bedroom windows?

The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie?

MY THOUGHTS
I want to start out this review by saying I did not like the plot of this book, and yet it is my first five star read of 2017. The story within the pages of Behind Closed Doors is one of the most disturbing and twisted I've ever read. It is also one of the most well written psychological thrillers I've read. At times this book was incredibly difficult to read, and yet such a page turner at the same time.

Told through a dual storyline of past and present, we meet Grace and Jack, a couple who seem to have it all but with a very different life playing out behind closed doors - hence the title. I don't really want to say too much more about the plot as it is the kind best read first hand, however I will say there is a darkness to it that I didn't even imagine when picking up this book.

The use of telling the story through both present day and the past adds a element of mystery to the narrative, leading to some very tense reading moments, and I really enjoyed that format. From the narrative, I feel like I was able to get into the mind of Grace the most of all the major characters, however each and every one of them is amazingly crafted. 

Behind Closed Doors is perfectly plotted, with the last few lines of the book wrapping everything together in the best way - I literally read the last page multiple times because it was just perfect.

I debated rating Behind Closed Doors lower than five stars, feeling uncomfortable with the plot, however the book was so well written, held my attention throughout, contained developed character with an amazing ending overall, and because of this I've given five stars. And the fact that Behind Closed Doors is a debut novel, just wow!

On Goodreads the author has confirmed that the movie rights have been sold for Behind Closed Doors, and I really hope it translates as well in film format. To be honest though, I don't know if I'd have the stomach to watch the story unfold, it was hard enough reading it.

I would recommend Behind Closed Doors to those who enjoy mystery + thriller type reads, however it definitely isn't for the faint hearted.

*Sorry if this review is a little all over the place - it was kind of hard to formulate articulate thoughts on this book*

LINKS
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. This sounds like a very well crafted mystery/thriller. I didn't used to consider myself faint of heart, but I'm much less interested in reading dark stuff these days. I don't know if it's being a mom now or what, but my stomach isn't quite so strong anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that feeling, Christine - nowadays I have to break up the dark reads and read a much fewer amount since becoming a parent.

      Delete
  2. You summed up my feelings about this book perfectly!! I felt the same way while reading it - I hated the story and how uncomfortable it made me, but couldn't stop reading. I had initially given it a lower rating, but had to bump it up because the writing is brilliant, despite the fact I didn't like the plot. I'm so glad you found your first 5 star read of the year! Great review, Jade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Behind Closed Doors is the kind of book that leaves you so conflicted! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Bars on the window? Yikes there definitely sounds like there's something dark going on! I've seen this one around a bit and it does sound like a very well crafted psych thriller, but it does sound dark too. And I love it when a book wraps up so well on the last page. :)

    I probably won't read it because of the dark nature but it's good to know it's so well written. I do love a good psychological thriller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psychological thrillers make for such good reading - the plots tend to be complex and the they're usually page turners. Having now read this book, I can see why others are avoiding it!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I hope you're able to read it some time soon!

      Delete
  5. This book was very disturbing but well written as you commented. LOVED the ending. :)

    Excellent review!!

    I don't think I could watch the movie either.

    ENJOY your week, and thank you for coming by my blog.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like we have similar thoughts on this book then. Have a great week, and happy reading!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig