Tuesday, 14 February 2017

BOOK TALK | My Four Favourite Harry Potter Theories


I love reading conspiracy theories... I like the depth to them and seeing how others interpret certain things. There are some wild theories out there, and some pretty plausible ones also. There isn't a specific subject I like to read theories on, however those surrounding the Harry Potter stories always draw me in and hold my attention for way longer than I intended. Today I thought I'd share a few of my favourite theories.

The theories I'm sharing aren't things I necessarily believe myself, just theories that have intrigued me.

THE HARRY POTTER SERIES IS ABOUT MENTAL ILLNESS
There is a pretty in depth theory that the story of Harry Potter is actually based on him being institutionalised in a mental hospital, and the goings on within the book are all delusions and fantasy. There is so much thought that goes into this theory, and whether you believe it to be true or not, I think it makes for an interesting read nonetheless.  

MUGGLES AND WIZARDS HAD A WAR
I've kind of always given thought to this theory myself, but there is a theory that long ago the muggles had a war with those from the magical world, and the muggles won. Evidence of this includes the Minister of Magic having to report to the Prime Minister at certain times, seeming as if the Ministry of Magic is a department of the government, not a government in itself. Also, the wizarding world is kept highly secretive, with wizards wanting to keep their abilities hidden from muggles. There is some more depth and evidence to this theory, and I'd highly recommend reading up on it if you're a Harry Potter fan.

HARRY POTTER IS NOW IMMORTAL
Taking a look at the prophecy, this theory suggests that Harry made the ultimate sacrifice and will forever be 'The Boy Who Lived'.

'either must die at the hand of the other, for neither can live while the other survives'

Having killed Voldemort, Harry is now immortal as his only means of achieving death was at the hand of Voldemort. I personally don't interpret the prophecy in this way, but the concept is an interesting one.

MARY POPPINS ATTENDED HOGWARTS
Okay, so this theory is a little out there... Mary Poppins was a student at Hogwarts long before Harry Potter's time. This is one of those theories that just kind of amuses me, with coincidences being drawn from the two stories, but it does make me think.

I know this isn't my usual kind of post, and not wholly relating to books, but hopefully somebody enjoyed this type of post! If you're at all interested in Harry Potter conspiracy theories, I'd love to hear about your favourite.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Ha! I have never heard of the Mary Poppins theory. I quite like that one. I'm going to stick with it.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome. I like the theory that Harry wasn’t actually a wizard. He was an abused child who was kept locked in a closet under the stairs. He imagined all the wizard stuff as a way of entertaining himself while he was locked up.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard this theory also, and I quite like it! I love how the stories, and elements of the stories, can be interpreted in so many ways.

      Delete
  3. I think you would be proud of me...the other day I ordered the entire box set of Harry Potter books. I decided I had to have them for when my daughter is old enough to read them, but of course I want to read them first. I have only read the first 3 books, but it's been so long that I want to start over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! I hope you enjoy, and love, the entire Harry Potter series. Reading them before Sunnie is old enough to is a great idea - I can't wait until I can share them with Alexander; that's a while away yet though!

      Delete
  4. This is an interesting post! I really don't read up on this sort of thing, but I enjoyed the "Cliffs Notes" version of your most intriguing ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the theories, Christine :-)

      Delete
  5. I like all the theories! The Muggle/Magic war makes a lot of sense and the mental institution one made me giggle. My husband and I had a very similar theory about a kid's show my son LOVED when he was little (Blue's Clues). We ended up watching a lot of it and had some pretty well developed theories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I've heard some interesting things about Blue's Clues!

      Delete
  6. I had no idea that Harry Potter conspiracy theories were a thing. These are interesting! And funnily enough, my husband is watching Order of the Phoenix as I'm typing this comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, there are conspiracy theories about everything these days! Haha! Order of the Phoenix is one of my favourites. I hope he enjoyed!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig