Friday, 17 February 2017

BOOK TALK | My Library List


The other week I had a really wild Friday night... I spent my evening cross referencing the books on my wishlist with my local library catalogue. Wild, right?! Well, my reasoning behind this task was to cut down my wishlist in a bid to continue buying minimal books this year, and for the future in general. I figure if I keep the books I hope to read bound by what my library stocks, then I have no reason to purchase books really. That's not to say I'll never purchase another book again, but that way when I do buy books I'll be buying them with intention whilst still being able to browse and soak up the atmosphere found in bookshops - as I spoke about late last year.

Today I thought I'd compile a list of all the books I hope to read, that my local library currently carries.

If you've read any of these books and think I NEED to read them, and soon, be sure to leave the title below.

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert
Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
Public Library and Other Stories by Ali Smith (CURRENTLY BORROWED)
Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Collected Ghost Stories by M.R. James
The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
The Truth and Other Lies by Sascha Arango
Florence & Giles by John Harding
The Girl Who Couldn't Read by John Harding
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
Burton on Burton by Mark Salisbury
The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy by Tim Burton
Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories by Audrey Niffenegger
When We Collided by Emery Lord
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald
Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker
Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi
The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
Love from Boy: Roald Dahl's Letters to His Mother by Donald Sturrock
Blame by Simon Mayo

My reading isn't confined to these titles however, this is just books I know I want to read that my library carries. I'll still continue reading from my unread shelf, wander the library for books to borrow and browse the bookstore every now and again.
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I definitely highly recommend Dark Matter to be read asap. I loved that book. I want to read Uprooted at some point. I hear it's really good. Same with When We Collided.
    It's good to find books at the library and save money while at it! If I didn't use Netgalley so much, I'd be using my library more, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to go through phases with using the library, but I'm hoping to make it more of a routine activity now.

      Dark Matter has been noted as a to read asap!

      Delete
  2. It’s Kind Of A Funny Story is pretty good. The character’s experiences with teenage depression are very similar to my experiences with it. I hope you get a chance to read all these!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted! I've had the title on my wishlist for so long now, it makes sense to pick it up sooner rather than later.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED Did You Every Have A Family. That would be my number one pick from this list.

    And I loved The Truth and Other Lies (it was one of my Best Books of 2015), but I do know some others who didn't like it.

    I also just read Dark Matter and really enjoyed it - a pure page turner whenever you're in the mood for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did You Ever Have A Family is now noted as a to read soon title - I've heard a lot of positive feedback on it. Thanks for sharing about these titles :-)

      Delete
  4. I listened to Lost Girls on audio and enjoyed it on that format. Not a MUST READ in my opinion, but definitely interesting.

    I can't personally recommend Uprooted yet, but I do have it and very much want to read it -- I'd be so curious to hear what you think if you read it! Same for The Woman in White -- it's a classic I definitely want to read and I've heard it is a fairly easy and engaging read for a modern audience as far as classics go.

    I read The Yellow Wallpaper in highschool and have been meaning to re-read it at some point too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the mentioned titles, Christine.

      The Woman in White has been on my wishlist for the longest time now - literally years! I'm thinking of saving that title, and a couple of others, for the autumnal months; I do love darker reads then.

      I hope you're able to reread The Yellow Wallpaper sometime in the future!

      Delete
  5. The Woman in White is awesome. I see you are thinking about leaving it until this fall, and I was going to suggest just that thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall definitely save it for autumn then! :-)

      Delete
  6. I do this to a certain extent. I regularly check my library catalogues so I know which books on my Goodreads TBR are available there. Turns out that doesn't stop me from buying them, sometimes - I just bought three books tonight from my TBR list, and two of them were available at my library. I guess sometimes the pleasure of buying them just wins out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I understand that - I used to do the exact same thing!

      Delete
  7. Using the library is a very sensible thing to do, and every time I review my list of books I want to read but don't own, my first task is to check if the library has any of them. I figure if I like a book I got from the library enough, I can always buy my own copy later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I plan to do now - if I like a book enough that I'd want to own it / return to it, then I can always buy a copy after borrowing from the library.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig