Tuesday, 21 February 2017

TUESDAY INTROS | A Boy Made of Blocks


BLURB
Meet thirtysomething dad, Alex.
He loves his wife Jody, but has forgotten how to show it. He loves his on Sam, but doesn't understand him. Something had to change. And he needs to start with himself.

Meet eight-year-old Sam.
Beautiful, surprising, autistic. To him the world is a puzzle he can't solve on his own.

When Sam starts to play Minecraft, it opens up a place where Alex and Sam begin to rediscover both themselves and each other... When life starts to tear one family apart, can they put themselves back together, one piece at a time?

A Boy Made of Blocks is a beautiful, funny and heartwarming story of family and love inspired by the author's own experiences with his son.

FIRST LINES
I am estranged.

This is the first thought that hits me as I leave the house, cross the road and limb into our battered old estate car. I guess the correct term is we are estranged, but then mostly, I suppose, this is my fault. I look back through the rear-view mirror and see my wife, Jody, in the doorway, her long hair dishevelled and knotted. Burying his head into her side is our eight-year-old son, Sam. He is trying to simultaneously cover his eyes and his ears, but I know it's not because he doesn't want to see me go. He is anticipating the sound of the engine, which will be too loud for him.

WOULD YOU CONTINUE READING?

SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Definitely curious from that intro and what an odd title too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the title is in reference to Minecraft, however, I am no expert on video games. Haha!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's a sad beginning, but the book sounds like a good one. I'd continue for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking there is a happier ending than beginning!

      Delete
  3. The opening paragraph seems so sad, but the blurb has me interested in taking a look at this book. I do hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a touching and thought provoking book. From the opening, I already feel for the family. I would keep reading reading. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely one that pulls at your emotions.

      Delete
  5. Oh, yes, you piqued my curiosity with this one. I always enjoy family stories, especially those with challenges. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family stories tend to make for interesting reads. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I would carry on reading. Thank you for sharing. I don't think this would a book I would have even looked at otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always interesting finding titles you otherwise wouldn't have found yourself. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. How interesting that this is about Minecraft! The opening doesn't grab me but I love the blurb so I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! It seems like it plays quite a central part also.

      Delete
  8. What a heart-breaking opening which made m want to know more even though the synopsis didn't really appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the kind of opening that leads you to wonder and question what exactly has been going on here.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig