Thursday, 2 March 2017

BOOK TALK | Favourite Words From Lost In Translation


Back in December I shared a list of Six Non-Fiction Books I'd Gift, and in that post I mentioned my love of Lost In Translation: An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the World by Ella Frances Sanders. In that same post, I mentioned sharing a separate post on a few of my favourite words from the book, and here that is.

And by a few words, I mean ten.

COMMUOVERE
Italian verb
To be moved in a heartwarming way, usually relating to a story that moved you to tears.

KILIG
Tagalog noun
The feeling of butterflies in your stomach, usually when something romantic or cute takes place.

FIKA
Swedish verb
Gathering together to talk and take a break from everyday routines, usually drinking coffee and eating pastries - either at a café or at home - often for hours on end.

KOMOREBI
Japanese noun
The sunlight that filters through the leaves of the trees.

KUMMERSPECK
German noun
Literally mean 'grief-bacon', this word refers to the excess weight we can gain from emotional overeating.

BOKETTO
Japanese noun
Gazing vacantly into the distance without really thinking about anything specific.

WABI-SABI
Japanese noun
Finding beauty in the imperfections, an acceptance of the cycle of life and death.

TIÁM
Farsi noun
The twinkle in your eye when you first meet someone.

YA'ABURNEE
Arabic noun
Meaning 'you bury me', a beautifully morbid declaration of one's hope that they will die before another person, as it would be too difficult living without them.

TSUNDOKU
Japanese noun
Leaving a book unread after buying it, typically piled up together with other unread books.

This isn't a review of the book, however if it were, I'd highly recommend having this charming little book on your shelves.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I’ve come across a few book blogs with Tsundoku in the title. Kummerspect is also a great word. :)

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of these were also in Otherwordly which I read recently! I'm sure this book was just as fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... Thanks for sharing this title with me! I'll have to look into it now, especially seen as your review is pretty positive!

      Delete
  3. This sounds so interesting! I love the idea of untranslatable words. This sounds like a fantastic book to just flip through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was hesitant to purchase this initially, with my thought process being how often am I going to pick this up and read it, and honestly, I've flipped through it way more than I thought I would! Great addition to any book collection.

      Delete
  4. Ah this is so lovely! I love stuff like this - it makes you consider things you never really thought about before! xo

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig