Thursday, 20 April 2017

UPDATE | Where I'm At With Reading & Blogging


It has been almost two weeks since my last blog post... It seems a lot longer. This has been an unintentional break; with my reading not being very consistent at the moment, naturally my platform to talk about all things bookish has gone a similar way.

There isn't a real purpose behind this update other than to let the readers of my blog know what is happening here currently, where my head space is at, and of course, what I've been reading.

As I mentioned in my March reading wrap up, reading is all over the show for me at the moment. I'm having trouble concentrating, I go days without picking up a book, and for the most part I've been in an on and off reading slump for well over a month now. It sucks! I miss reading. I miss blogging. I miss interacting about books. I miss the stories.

I've been trying all my 'pull yourself out of a reading slump' tips and tricks, however none of those are succeeding greatly at the moment. I've picked up a reread (Pride & Prejudice). I've turned to short stories (The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King). I've picked up a book I'd usually breeze through, in this case a psychological thriller (The Breakdown by B.A. Paris). And I still have bookmarks in all of these books... And then some!

I'm in a bit of a reading pickle really.

At the end of the month I will be taking part in Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon, which I was super excited for and now I'm worried it'll be a total failure! I've already got my books picked out and I'm excited to read the books, but I don't know how the readathon will pan out still being in this place with reading.

As well as missing reading, and the enjoyment I once got from it, I'm also missing blogging. I haven't been posting here consistently for a while, and I also haven't been reading other blogs within the community either.

I don't really have much else to say update wise. I want to read, but I'm not enjoying it. I want to blog, but I'm not reading so have nothing to share. I want to be active in the book blogging community, but the other two points are stopping me for some reason.

I wish I had something positive to end this update with, but bookish wise, there really isn't anything. So instead, please share what you've recently enjoyed reading in the comments below!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I'm sorry you're going through a book slump, Jade. I know those are so frustrating. I go through them several times a year and hate it. It's good to take a step back and take a break from blogging when that happens. I'm sure the right book will come along and get you right back into it! I hope you're able to get your reading mojo back in time to enjoy the readathon. I haven't signed up yet, but I think I may join in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandie!

      I did just finish my first book of the month, and I think that is helping me to pick myself up a bit. Fingers crossed I'll be good for the readathon. Ah, I hope you're able to join!!

      Delete
  2. I've found that a reading slump sometimes is caused by distractions going on in your life or just general busyness. Once that dies down for me, I'm generally about to get back into the swing of things. Hope this one doesn't last too long for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah.

      Yes... There is a lot going on at the moment, and I do think that has been playing a bit of the slump, it is a shame though as usually reading helps me in these sorts of times! I think I'm pulling it back a little now though having finished my first book of April.

      Delete
  3. I hope your slump ends soon! Sometimes you just have to take a break and do something else for a while.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you're in a slump! I have hope for the readathon though -- if you're excited about those books you have picked out, maybe a fun book-blogging-community-event like that might help shake things up.

    I'm reading all over the place and have a bunch of ideas floating around in my brain for posts, but no time to write them! I'll get back to it one of these days, I suppose :)

    My only other suggestion of a tip or trick to try to break the slump might be to try a children's book -- whether a childhood favorite or one you've been wanting to read. For me, reading books like Charlotte's Web, The Borrowers, and Mrs Piggle Wiggle lately has really been keeping my interest in reading active. I don't know if it's that they are shorter, easier, or just so enjoyable, but it's working (at the moment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine!

      So true regarding the possibility of the readathon pulling me out of my slump. It is fun returning to children's books - new and old, and actually reading a middle grade book really helped me last month so I think you may be on to something there.

      Glad to hear you're enjoying your current reading material, and even though you aren't able to write the blog posts at the moment, be sure to make note of them.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you're in such a slump Jade. Those are so awful and so hard to break out of. My only advice is just follow your interest - if all of a sudden a reread or a mystery or something totally off the wall sounds good than go for it. Otherwise don't put too much pressure on yourself. It will get better. Good luck with Dewwey! I keep meaning to do it but the timing never seems to work out. I'm reading a Robyn Carr women's fiction right now that I'm enjoying. She does a good job of having multiple story lines without it getting overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine!

      I have been trying to keep the pressure off of myself with this reading slump, as that can tend to make it worse, so great tip.

      Ooo... I like the sound of your current read!

      Delete
  6. Book slumps are tough, and I go through phases where I just get busy or just don't feel like reading. Thankfully they seem to always end, and hopefully yours does too soon! I can definitely sympathize! As for me, I've been reading psychological thrillers lately like they're going out of style, not sure why, but I've been liking the mystery / thriller aspect I guess. Love the twists and if I can see them coming. :)

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I do love a psychological thriller every now and then; I hope you're enjoying all your current reads!

      Delete
  7. Ugh no fun. I hate when I go through those spells, where I can't really get into anything. :( For me it usually follows reading a really good book. Hopefully your slump breaks soon - maybe Dewey will do it for you, it might be the trick. Things that usually work for me are reading a book by a favorite author I had been waiting to read, or an old childhood favorite, but sometimes it just takes time. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it is funny you say that about a favourite author, as it is just that that I've been saving for Dewey - Cecelia Ahern's newest YA title.

      I have actually completed two books since writing this post, so fingers crossed my slump is over just in time for the readathon. One of those books was 'We Have Always Lived In The Castle' - I was saving it for the readathon, like we spoke about, but I wanted something short to get stuck into and remembered what you'd said about it. I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  8. Sorry about your book slump. Pride & Prejudice sounds like good medicine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie.. It is looking like I've overcome the worst of it now!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig