Monday, 19 June 2017

CURRENTLY READING | 025


Well, it seems like starting my reading month with a bang, so thoroughly enjoying my first read of the month, has meant it's down hill from there... I didn't complete a book at all last week; in fact I DNF'ed two.

As I mentioned in my last 'Currently Reading' post, I was enjoying a middle grade read (Ned's Circus of Marvels by Justin Fisher), however I did end up DNF'ing it a couple of days later. There was nothing wrong with the book itself, just the reader. I was looking for a book to get really lost in and that particular title just wasn't working. I would return to the book another time if the opportunity arose (it was a library borrow).

Next up I decided to tackle a review book I had sitting on my Kindle. I knew Diasters of the First World wasn't the kind of book I could get lost in, as it is a collection of short stories, but I had been keen to read it and thought it would fill that space until the end of the week when I could start anew. Unfortunately, I ended up DNF'ing that also! Five stories in to thirteen, I opted to quit reading as I just couldn't connect with the writing. Except one of the five stories I read, I didn't have much of a clue as to what was going on. The stories were just flying over my head. I thought perhaps it was the reading mood I was in, but after taking to Goodreads, it seems a few others experienced the same thing.

So I didn't have the greatest reading week, but with Monday comes a fresh start and I'm picking up another library read; a book I can get lost in and fulfil that reading want: Miss You by Kate Eberlen.

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Sometimes books just don't satisfy us and its good to let them go and move on. After all we all like to be lost in a book for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart sinks when a novel just isn't working for me especially if it is an advanced readers copy where I have to review. Hopefully your new book will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear you ended up with two DNF books in a row! I hope you find an amazing book soon.


    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you getting so many DNFs....I'm in the same spot...or was until last week! But better to DNF than waste time on a book that isn't working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sucks when you hit a string of books that just don’t work. I hope this week is better for you.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some weeks are like that and not every book connects with every reader. I'm getting better at abandoning books that aren't working for me but it is a struggle. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving on from books that don't work allows more time for the ones we love. Miss You is on my Kindle...I hope to read it soon.

    Enjoy your week...and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate DNF's but they happen sometimes, unfortunately. I'd rather stop than suffer through something not working. Hopefully Miss You will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have learned to DNF, most times it is the mood but other times it just is not a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DNFs happen. I'm adding Miss You to my wishlist. Summer vacation has begun and so has the extreme heat. Come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So frustrating when that happens! Sometimes it is just hard to find that right book.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig