Thursday, 6 July 2017

BOOK REVIEW | The Summer of Impossible Things by Rowan Coleman

| I received my copy of The Summer of Impossible Things via Netgalley for review purposes |

BLURB
If you could change the past, would you?

Thirty years ago, something terrible happened to Luna’s mother. Something she’s only prepared to reveal after her death.

Now Luna and her sister have a chance to go back to their mother’s birthplace and settle her affairs. But in Brooklyn they find more questions than answers, until something impossible – magical – happens to Luna, and she meets her mother as a young woman back in the summer of 1977.

At first Luna’s thinks she’s going crazy, but if she can truly travel back in time, she can change things. But in doing anything – everything – to save her mother’s life, will she have to sacrifice her own?


MY THOUGHTS
When their mother dies of a tragic suicide, physicist Luna and her sister Pia travel to Brooklyn, New York in order to tie up some loose ends of their mother's, namely the sale of a property she jointly owned with her sister.

Whilst in Bay Ridge, their mother's hometown, demons she battled her entire life come to light, meanwhile scientist Luna starts to experience things that make her question all that she knows.

Visiting the home in which her mum, Marissa, grew up in, Luna is transported back to 1977; Luna time travels to the summer that changed her mother's life, and not for the better.

With the knowledge she now possesses and these newfound abilities, Luna sets out to save her mother and change the course of history.

I was initially drawn to The Summer of Impossible Things because of the time travel aspect, as I enjoy reading that merged with current day, however it was the theme of love within this book that captured me. The story showcases love in a variety of ways, with the sacrifices we make for loved ones being prominent throughout.

'"Love outlasts even death. It's present in every moment, even those filled with darkness; it's never exhausted, it never gives up or waivers. It's the one force of the universe that will never be captured by an equation or your science."'

The characters I met in this book have such deeply developed stories, and are ones that will remain with me for some time to come. The strength and courage possessed by the female leads (Luna, Pia and Marissa), all throughout, was something I admired and loved how strongly they were written.

Happily so, I've now discovered the beauty of Rowan Coleman's writing, and having now finished this five star read I'm keen to explore more of her works.

LINKS
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I love stories about going back to change things, time travel, all that stuff, so the synopsis on this one got my attention. Nice that it was 5 stars, and such a thought provoking read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love time-travel stories! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Great review!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a interesting element, especially in contemporary novels. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I thought I knew what kind of book this would be as I was reading the description, and then you threw time travel in there. That was unexpected and very intriguing! Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An unexpected but wonderful element to the story.

      Delete
  4. I'm not usually drawn to quotes from books I haven't read yet not having the context of the book itself, but I really love that one! I would be drawn to that theme as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Summer of Impossible Things is a great read, Christine - that quote really stood out to me.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig